Archinect
anchor

Any Future AA EmTech or DRL students?

architect1986

Hey I just got into the EmTech M.Arch program and wondering who else will be joining for this fall?

Any current students out there that have suggestions for housing in London, or know of a room in an apt opening up somewhere?

Are you guys and gals doing anything to prep?  what are you learning, who are you reading?  Any current students or grads have suggestions?

Thanks,

A

Mar 22, 12 2:04 am
Paulie

A lot of students go to live in East London or Camden. 
For Emtech, it would be a good idea to get into grasshopper, and read up on biomimetics.

Mar 22, 12 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

when searching for a flat, use gumtree.co.uk or moveflat.co.uk

those are the best two... london flatshares can be competitive. when we had a room available in our flat we would tend to see 10+ people before making a decision. When i first moved to london, i stayed here:

http://www.london-hostels.co.uk/uk/pages/hostels/Friendship-House.aspx

its like a student dorm but with private bath... but it was bookable from the states. 

Mar 22, 12 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
motioneye

Is there life after Emtech ?

What is the ratio of EmTech MArch alumni that actually thrive after graduation, financially and professionally speaking?

Mar 23, 12 9:32 am  · 
 · 
motioneye

Sorry for misreading the title!

I thought is was: Any Future (for) AA EmTech or DRL students?

Mar 23, 12 9:51 am  · 
 · 
architect1986

Ill take a look at friendship house.  Ive been looking around Old Street mostly.  Any authors or books in general to check out?

Mar 26, 12 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Start by getting the program director's book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Architecture-Emergence-Evolution-Civilisation/dp/0470066334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332888519&sr=8-1

Michael Pawlyn's Biomimicry in Architecture is a good read too. 

They will teach you all of this stuff though, so don;t try too hard to have it all figured out before you go.

Mar 27, 12 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
motioneye

Any comments on the career prospects for EmTech graduates compared to other programs (schools) ?

Mar 29, 12 6:07 am  · 
 · 
motioneye

?

Mar 29, 12 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
motioneye

??

Apr 2, 12 6:07 am  · 
 · 
architect1986

As far as I can gather from other blogs and talking to past AA grads is that a lot of Emtech grads get into teaching or mostly head over to zaha or foster, but Im really not that sure.

Apr 10, 12 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

hey, future AA DRL student here

(provided my non-AA funding application is successful ;)

Apr 26, 12 6:46 am  · 
 · 
axinear

Hello,

I'm a future EmTech student, got my admission last week.

May 3, 12 4:41 am  · 
 · 
architect1986

@ dan.o.c and @axinear we should get in contact.  

any other future AA people feel free to contact me as well.

May 6, 12 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
BAK22

I am studying in the US, and I am applying to EMTECH, my questions are: What is the acceptance rate at the EMTECH? How can we become a licensed architect in the UK RIBA part 2? Should I apply for AA undergrad school after finishing EMTECH program?

Feb 5, 18 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
TED

I think EmTech grads are very employable [am one] - make certain you  bring knowledge into the machine rationality and frame a clear research question within your dissertation [something I think many dissertations lack - they just focus on the tool] - so if you could, audit sustainable, h+U, dlr or Dip workshops/modules which bring much more theoretical and relavant points of view into the debate. That's what the AA is about.

May 7, 12 5:50 am  · 
 · 
architect1986

anybody else out there joining this fall?

May 28, 12 12:37 am  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

Hi All,

Slightly out of topic here , i hope you guys dont mind to help.

I'm negotiating with the AA regarding ARB/ Part I exemption into Diploma school.

I have been misunderstood all along that my 3-year B.Sc (arch) ,which obtained from RIBA validated course in Australia,  would have gained Part I exemption automatically.

Basically , the AA asked me  to  either repeat  3rd year OR to gain an exemption from ARB before 15th of July which is impossible ( take 6 weeks just to organise an interview not to mention a tedious process they require)

Does anyone here from the US/ outside EU have or heard this sort of issue ?

My gut feeling says the AA is unlikely to offer me a Diploma place....

Thanks

May 28, 12 1:37 am  · 
 · 
TED

ARB does allow entry into part II without part I but its under the specific regulations of the schools - AA is an undergrad degree awarded at Part II which is very unusual in the UK [most part II are postgrad diplomas or MArchs

If you look at ARB web site you would see this statement under most UK schools:

"The Institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students/candidates undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student/candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 without Part 1." 

This allows entry into Part 2 without finalising part 1 - you still need to get Part 1, 2, 3 for full licensure but recognises it is not necessary to do it in a specific order.  If your course was RIBA part 1, you met all the Part 1 Criteria, its just your school did not want to take up the burden of the ARB validation[cost, documentation etc].  So most UK schools are both RIBA/ARB Part 1 - Part 2

This statement does not appear on the AA prescription. At this point I would contact the RIBA education office directly who will know directly what the AA can and cannot do and what you will need to do to get 'part 1' if your course did not offer it -

hope it helps.

May 28, 12 3:43 am  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

TED,
Thank you so much for your response,

The following is part of the email the school sent to me.

"If you had successfully completed a BA qualification in Architecture from an ARB accredited British University, you would have been granted Part 1 exemption automatically. However the ARB does not grant automatic Part 1 exemption to any universities outside the UK. If you hold a qualification from a university outside the UK, you will need to make an application to the ARB for Part 1 exemption independently."

As you just mentioned, many UK schools do accept candidates who dont have Part I .

But it seems to me that this is just the AA policy.

I dont really know what to do if they still insist that I need an exemption from ARB prior to commencing study. To repeat a whole 3rd year is really not an option for me right now.

May 28, 12 7:38 am  · 
 · 
TED

Looking at RIBA, I don't think any Austrialian schools are RIBA validated -

http://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Education/Validation/InternationalValidation/StatementregardingCAAschools.pdf

The rules are very complex as UK schools have to recognise EU reciprocity - 

Yes, it is true, you must get part I in order to apply for licensure. The email above doesn't state that you need it to enter part II - they may feel your work is only at year 2 level - 

You could do an MA at the AA and then apply to arb for the Part I - then start AA Dip fall 2013. or you can go to another UK school for your part II [again, you still have to get a Part I before licensure -

May 28, 12 9:01 am  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

Ted,
Really appreciate your help, thank you

I saw those PDF you just posted here a week ago  , didnt know this issue between RIBA and CAA ( Commonwealth Association of Architects ) before.

I was actually graduated in 2010 , I'm not sure whether  my degree

1. had been recognised ( up until 2012) 

2.  was regconised

3.  still has been recognised by RIBA.

But, that doesnt seems to be the issue, or is it?

The email clearly stated that,

"In order to apply directly into Fourth Year, you will need to have gained Part 1 exemption from the ARB by 15th July 2012"

The whole issue is the AA wont  give me a 4th year place unless I gain an exemption from ARB or repeat 3rd year.

It would be less confusing for me if they  just say the quality of my folio is not good enough for 4th year and ask me to start at year three.

Another thing that baffles me is >>
Would the AA have asked me to gain an exemption had I applied in 2010 ? ( given they were happy with my folio )

I have to wait and see , btw its been really really frustrating, trying  to just get any response from the AA admin. They dont seem to care whatsoever which is really weird for the PRIVATE institution.

May 28, 12 11:03 am  · 
 · 
TED

in the end It may just be the way they thin the high number of applications - and reading the ARB statement, yes, same thing would apply for 2010.  ARB and RIBA [lets just say] hate each other to put it mildly - so it might not matter - 

Be patient with AA admin as it is end of the year here and went to tables on Friday at the AA - 2 weeks till final hand in, then build the show.

I am certain they won't let you in - so maybe you should apply for the Part I over the next year and look to sept 2013 [or other uk school instead]

May 28, 12 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

any summer reading recommendations for a prospective DRL student? :)

May 29, 12 7:50 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Thanks a lot TED!! :)

May 29, 12 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
architect1986

so anybody else out there going have any plan for living situations?

Jun 3, 12 7:05 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

I have applied for two nearby halls, if unsuccessful I'll consider a flatshare.

Jun 3, 12 9:37 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

oh shoot! thanks for the links TED... my reading list for the next few yrs just quadrupled

Jun 3, 12 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

oh shoot! thanks for the links TED... my reading list for the next few yrs just quadrupled

Jun 3, 12 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Does anyone know how the DRL calendar go? Is there tuition during the summer? Where does the prgramme ends exactly? january of the following year?

Jun 7, 12 7:22 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Hey all!

I wanted to know if the M.Arch DRL and EmTech degrees awarded by the AA School of Architecture come under any university or is the AA a deemed university by itself ?? 

Jul 2, 12 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

As a private institution, AA degrees must be validated by a UK Public University for them to be recognised as Higher Ediucation Degrees. The Open University (a public distance-learning university based in Milton Keynes) validates AA Degrees.

Hope this helps ;)

Jul 2, 12 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

also for visa purposes this update was recently sent out to AA members by the director Brett Steele

"I am also delighted to share another important piece of news with you all; last Friday the Quality Assurance Agency issued to my office a formal Letter of Confidence following the school’s first-ever accreditation by the QAA, the UK government’s agency responsible for maintaining standards of higher education in the UK. For the first time ever the AA school qualifies for accreditation by the QAA following new UK immigration legislation requiring all schools like ourselves to maintain a ‘highly trusted sponsor’ status, which in turn allows the AA to continue to attract foreign students to the UK."

Jul 2, 12 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Thank you very much Dan and Amy! So basically it means the degree is a recognized master's degree. Does it matter if it is validated by the open university or any other public university? - I mean prestige wise and in terms of recognition in future for job placements?

Jul 2, 12 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

In terms of recognition prestige and job seeking what I suppose matters the most about the degree is being taught at the AA ;)

Jul 2, 12 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Graaf Floris

I seem to have the same problem as Siamese Dream: being accepted for the AA Diploma School (fourth year) with a foreign Bachelor Degree and having to gain the part 1 Exemption. As I have only just recently found ways to finance this venture, I will most definitely be too late to gain this exemption.

Has anybody heard of a possibility to gain the Part 1 while already studying the Part 2? I understand this is possible a other schools, but the AA seams to be quiet particular about this issue...

I´m accepted for the Bartlett MArch (what used to be the Barlett Diploma), too. They don´t seem to mind about not having this ARB exemption and just aknowledge my (european) Bachelor of Architecture...

I´m close to giving up and going to the Bartlett, although I´d really prefer the AA.

Thanks for your help!

Jul 7, 12 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

Hey, prospective AA students

has anyone been already offered the payment of full tuition fees before september?

Jul 23, 12 5:21 am  · 
 · 
harismas

hi AA ppl......m a future DRL student, any luck in accomodation thing, actually m still searchin, fo flatshare...if anybody interested, plz contact..harismashkoor@yahoo.com.......hope we get along

Jul 23, 12 9:15 am  · 
 · 
viral.doshi

hi...  will be joining EmTech course this year..

does anyone know if the Emtech course has any field/ study trips???? 

Aug 3, 12 11:45 am  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

hey

vewry excited about going to london in a couple of weeks :D

anyone knows what kind of stuff are we doing for the induction week?

cheers!

Aug 27, 12 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
yantian92

Emtech programme is not a good Master____ no lessons and they push you to produce for their marketing display... MORE MONEY MORE MONEY MORE MONEYYYYY. Undergaduate is much better.

I advice you to study somewhere else such as UCL School of Architecture.... they have more serious and better masters

ps____ I made EMTECH so trust me!!!!!  

Jan 26, 17 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
architectkim

Accepted at AA DRL ...

Still in the progress of choosing & receiving decisions.

Mar 3, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
frozenfish99

Hey! 

I'll be joining EmTech this September, what are you folks doing for accommodation ?

Jul 5, 17 9:47 am  · 
 · 
rheavora1

Hi you guys, 

I have been accepted for the EmTech course as well and I am confused as despite the name and reputation of the AA, there are alot of factors that do not work with linear clarity. University/School life, Accreditation, No fixed module system etc. Is anyone also researching and trying to gather information? Please get in touch. Thanks!

Also anyone please feel free to post your review and comments! 

Apr 4, 20 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
TED
Am emtech grad and there are modules and the program is accredited but is not a RIBA validation - if you are looking for that consider the part 2 program- without a uk part 1 you would be asked to enter year 3 of the part 1 (3 years total part 1+2) you might consider arranging a call with the program director who is very approachable and may connect you to current students - good luck!
Apr 7, 20 3:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: