Archinect
anchor

Informational Interviews – Your 2 cents!

Katze

As some of you may know, I am interested in changing fields. I am a Software Engineer transitioning to the Architecture discipline. It has been a painful conversion, but I have to say that on the positive side, I am making progress. After sending numerous applications, I received an invitation to set up an informational interview with an Architectural firm. I am preparing an agenda for the session and my objective is to gather information about the firm, seeking leads, etc. I want to make sure I select questions that will give me the most information. So my question is two-fold: (1) Now that you have been in a firm for a while, what are some of the questions you wish you had asked in your interview (informational or other), and what are some of the "must-have" questions for an informational interview? (2) Have any of your informational interviews ever turned into real employment with the firm? In addition, should I feel privileged that they contacted me or is this strictly a courtesy invite? Ok so I've asked more than two questions - but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Aug 4, 06 9:31 pm

Am I correct in assuming that an 'Informational Interview' is a pseudo-interview situation in which there is not actually a job on the line? If so, why would a firm ever do this?

Aug 4, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Good question rationalist – I had the same question, and your assumption is correct. The interviewer informed me that although the firm is not in an active hiring mode, they wanted to set up an informational interview. I am not sure if they are just doing this as a courtesy or maybe it is their way to identify potential future candidates for their firm…? Not sure. At the least, it sounds like a networking opportunity.

Aug 4, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: