Archinect
anchor

Is NYC booming now?

Living in Gin

Based on a casual survey of Archinect's Jobs section, it seems there's a lot of NYC firms looking for talent right now. Of 30 listings on the first page of the Jobs section, 10 are for firms in NYC. Compare to three listings in LA and a whopping one listing for Chicago.

So, what's the story? Is there really that much of a boom in NYC right now? Is there a sense that this will last at least another year?

Inquiring minds want to know, as there's a strong chance I'll move back to NYC next summer to find work and eventually head to grad school.

Discuss...

Aug 2, 06 10:42 pm
brian buchalski

yeah, it's booming. you better go.

rigth now!

Aug 2, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

jjeezus puddles...why don't u just shout up if u got nothin to say, ming

Aug 2, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah...and soho is becoming too commercial.

Aug 2, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

don't start with the american psycho quotes again. patrick bateman is a douchebag...even le bossman knows that

Aug 2, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Dude, put down the bottle and go to bed.

Aug 3, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

my guess would be that there is a seceret conspiracy by the architects of the nyc to make it seem like their city is booming...
motivation?
well, its quite simple really
chicago rules the world, and is in fact way cooler and more important in all ways means and measures than new york... this is a futile attempt to reclaim some dignity in the face of certain humiliation

in the words of james murphy

yer citys a sucker
yer citys a sucker
yer citys a sucker
my citys a creep

Aug 3, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

who cares about the #4 city anyhow ?

Aug 3, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

In retrospect, I suppose getting a straight answer about NYC's job market was too much to hope for.

Aug 3, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

whats the #4 city?

Aug 3, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

Yeah, NYC is booming right now, I just moved up here and got a job.

Aug 3, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

does it even matter if its "booming" or not? nyc is a huge town with much going. even on a slow day there is probably more turnover, people coming and going, more opportunity than anywhere else in america. if you want go to new york, then just do it.

but if you think that a "booming" market is somehow a ticket to the good life then you've probably already made your first mistake by choosing architecture.

Aug 3, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You make good points. I've already lived and worked in NYC during a time when it wasn't so booming, and I still had no trouble landing plenty of interviews and getting a few offers. Regardless of the general climate, there always seems to be room at the table for anybody with the right skill set and a half-decent work ethic.

That said, a "booming" market offers a number of advantages in terms of opportunities and compensation, and the thought of that is exciting.

(Now if I can just arrange to move there when the rental market is slacking...)

Aug 3, 06 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
24out1in

Sloring,

I tried emailing you (as my questions are not really on topic) but it didn't go through. Could you possibly email me with your real email address? I want to ask you about your move to nyc as I am thinking about doing the same.

Thanks.

Aug 4, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: