Archinect
anchor

A few hours to kill in Abilene, Texas

cf

Can someone give me some tips on exciting places to see and things to do in Abilene. I have about 4 hours to kill.
Also, are there any museums and parks that would be interesting to visit?
Do you think the temperature will be very hot down there?
Should I rent a car or will public transportation take me anywhere in the city?

I heard that old cowboy song that says the prettiest gals are in Abilene. I'll write back with my findings.

Aug 2, 06 1:34 pm
chupacabra

hot, rent, leave.

Aug 2, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

if you are in abilene for a day of business and you have four hours of that day to kill, forget about abilene and drive northeast to albany TX. i like albany. it's about 30 miles NE on abilene on hwy 351. of course you have to rent a car for this, but.

just don't tell anyone else about it, we already have one marfa in TX.

Aug 2, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

It is actually legal to kill hours in some parts of Texas, provided the hour is clearly threatening your person or property.

Aug 2, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
cf

My client said there is a good steakhouse in Albany and an excellent Italien restaurant in downtown Abilene in an old bank.
We'll see what happens.

Aug 2, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

see if the client will spring for the steakhouse

Aug 2, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
tempdrive

Abilene is home to the famous:

Big Texan big steak contest

If you can finish off the 72 oz. sirloin plus all the sides in an hour, Bobby and Danny Lee (the owners of The Big Texan Steakhouse" will pick up the tab.

you could spend your time eating 4 of those...

Aug 2, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
general acres

wow, abilene.

just stay in your hotel or in your rented car with the a/c on. if anything, just drive directly north or south of town and take in the landscape.

abilene has a shopping mall.

sorry if you were expecting something great to do there, but there really isnt. i grew up not too far from there.

Aug 2, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

The Big Texan Big Steak contest is in Amarillo, not Abilene.

Aug 2, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

too bad it is at this time of the year.

a bit later and you could go to a high school football game - Abilene High versus Abilene Cooper. aways a thriller.

or if this was march/april, you head over to Sweetwater (42 miles away) and go the Rattlesnake Round-Up. 4 days of nothing but rattlesnakes - caught, milked, skinned and fried.

there is a great steakhouse outside Abilene at Buffalo Gap. can't remeber the name, but it is very well known.

there is a museum downtown, which is not so bad. a historical museum, but gives some good info on the city, its history and evolution and the many ups and downs.

the zoo is not bad - i gave it 2 caymen alligators some 30 years ago - maybe they are still alive.

otherwise, just rent a car and drive around. little towns around have a retro feel worth experiencing.

Aug 2, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Okay, I actually went to school in Abilene. I can't believe a post actually came up on Archinect about it. I went to ACU and studied Business and Arch. Design. I was there for 4 years.

The museums actually suck there. My buddy took a date their and they left after 15 minutes. They built a new "visitor center" downtown that I believe showcases fronteir life-I wouldn't waste my time there.

Places to eat: Joe Allen's which is on Treadway:if you are at ACU, take EN 10th or Ambler to Treadway and it is once you go under the railroad tracks on the left. It is really good food.

La Popular is an authentic mexican restaurant. They prepare cheap food. You stand in line for it and don't have to tip. It is on Ambler. From ACU, take EN10th and then a right onto Ambler, it is on the right.

Lytle Land and Cattle is close to ACU as well and they do really good steaks if you want to pay for it.

Honestly, while at ACU, we had to find things to do. My friends and I had to be really creative. One thing that is wonderful is driving out to the Mesas that surround the city and watch the sun go down. That is very beautiful. The reality is, Abilene is a small West Texas town.

My friend Mark probably still works at the movie theater so you could maybe get a free movie out of him-he is the manager.

Gosh, how funny that Abilene came up on Archinect.

Aug 2, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Perini Ranch is the steakhouse in Buffalo Gap by the way...

Aug 2, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: