Archinect
anchor

congratulations & a handshake...

dml955i

That's what I got from my boss after telling him that I just passed the ARE...

Once I pay some money and fill out the "official" forms required by my state, I'll be the only other licensed architect in our firm besides him.

I'm kinda underwhelmed by his enthusiasm or lack thereof... It's not like I immediately demanded a huge raise, reimbursement for the exam fees, or new business cards, although that would be cool...

Jul 31, 06 4:52 pm
liberty bell

Well a big congratulations from me, dml, not that it's any more exciting than what your boss offered! It is a huge task and monumentous occasion to become licensed. Good for you slogging through it all and getting it behind you - yay!

If it helps, my firm didn't give me a raise or anything upon passing, but my year-end bonus reflected my new status. You might schedule a relaxed meeting with your boss to discuss how this impacts your role in the office, their insurance rates, is AIA covered, should you list your home address or frim address on your license, etc - and include the new business cards in the discussion!

Congrats, really: it's a big big deal!

Jul 31, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

congrats! i think it's a huge accomplishment and am envious.

one day... one day...

Jul 31, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Thanks LB, you're the best!

I'm fully aware that this is big big deal and celebrated this past weekend accordingly!

My wife, friends, family, etc were all very psyched for me when they heard the news - even my co-workers took me out for beers to celebrate.

We are a very small firm (only about 8 of us total), so my boss is very frugal (almost to a fault)- dinosaur plotter that's on it's last leg, re-furbished computers & office equip. and very bare-bones perks and benefits (if any). I'm sure if I even suggested re-imbursement or covering my AIA dues, I'd be laughed out of the office...

Jul 31, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

a virtual drink on me! congrats.

Jul 31, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

that's awesome about your license--congratulations.

small offices often CAN'T pay for other architects...but they should. just remember, you command a certain premium now...and if your boss likes you and wants to keep you around...well...

Jul 31, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

congrats!

Jul 31, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

congrats dml. you rock.

Jul 31, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 31, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, that^ would be more like it.

congratulations dml, and cheers to you!

you win!

Jul 31, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

don't ever try to out virtual drink Steven, it's a bad idea.

and congrats dml. But remember that you probably are worth more with the licensing (especially if you go to another firm that values licensed architects). Maybe if your current firm doesn't value your recent achievement, you should go somewhere that does.

Jul 31, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hip hip hooray!
hip hip hooray!
hip hip hooray!

Jul 31, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah dml, congrats, i am working towards what i have been told is an expected 5,000 bump when i get mine, soon we shall find out if that's true...

Jul 31, 06 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

congratulations. its like a big deal. maybe your boss felt a little threatened thinking you might leave for better situation or maybe just simply he has one of those people who can't show too much emotion. who cares, you shouldn't. now that you have your own destiny to follow and can call your own terms and moves regarding the practice, thats what matters. don't let it get to you, if anybody plays your achievements down without your permission.

Jul 31, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Thanks for all the congratulatory remarks! You all have reinforced my opinion that this webforum is a positive place with great people, ideas, and insights and not just cluttered with "which grad school", "my studio professor sucks", and "I'm a frustrated intern doing nothing but renderings and redlines" threads.

Yeah, I definitely think my new 'status' has put my principal on notice. Right now I'm in a great position - I'm project manager/project architect on three large and complex projects (others on staff only have one or two smaller projects on their plates). If I were to jump ship, my projects would most likely grind to a halt or progress would slow dramatically and require significantly more input and involvement from my boss. My yearly reviews and raises have been decent increases; bonuses have been mediocre at best - but I definitely get the feeling that he wants/needs me to stick around.

Not looking to leave my job either - I'm working on some killer projects design-wise, have a lot of responsibilty and interaction with the clients as well - Just a nice bump in salary would be nice!!!

Jul 31, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
babs

among the happiest days of my career was the day I learned I passed the exam ... it's a noble and worthwhile accomplishment and you are to be congratulated.

but, let's examine the true dynamic at play here between you and your boss. I can't address whether your boss might be threatened by your newly earned professional status. however, be honest and ask yourself "what can I do today that I couldn't do yesterday ?" ... "what does the firm need me to do today that I couldn't do yesterday ?" ... it's like that day in May some years ago when you earned your degree ... were you significantly more knowledgeable the day after graduation than you were the day before. what you know and what you can do should determine your pay ... while a license is important, it is not the main determinant of your worth.

i'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade ... you should be proud of what you've accomplished. i've just seen too many young architects prematurely and unnecessarily destroy a good working relationship with a firm because the firm wasn't as overtly overjoyed by the event as was the newly minted architect.

my advice ... take an objective perspective about what's going on and be slow to form hard judgments about your new status and your relationship to the firm. presumably, you were fairly paid the day before you were informed about the results ... that doesn't necessarily make you unfairly paid the day after

in our firm, we make a strong effort to encourage and help our interns pursue licensure. when they are successful, there are handshakes all around and we typically throw a little bash after work soon thereafter. but, we don't make a pay adjustment until their next regularly scheduled review. because we work hard to keep pay levels appropriate all the time, there's seldom a huge bump when that next review takes place ... but there is portion of the raise that would not have happened had licensure not taken place.

as another said above, keep the lines of communication open with your boss ... be a team player and remain supportive of the firm and the firm's goals ... let your boss know you enjoy being at the firm, but also let him know you would like to know what thoughts and plans he might have for the future ... share with him your own aspirations ... give it all some time and don't make any rash decisions ... sometimes when new circumstances arise, it takes a while for all of the dust to settle.

good luck !

Aug 1, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Well put babs! I am in total agreement - thanks!

Aug 1, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Woo hoo! That's great. While I see your slight displeasure at not getting an immediate bump in pay, babs is pretty much right on in this regard - Unless you are going to be stamping drawings right away, I wouldn't expect much change in your responsibilities or compensation.

Now your boss may be wary one you jumping ship - it certainly wouldn't the first time a person gets their stamp and moves on - only three tests into it and I won't lie - the thought has crossed my mind once or twice...

So I too reiterate that babs has got thier head on straight - and CON-GRAD-U-FREAKIN-LATIONS!!!

Aug 1, 06 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: