Archinect
anchor

printing on canvas

.dwg

hi
i was wondering if anyone knows how i can get a digital image printed onto a piece of canvas. anyone ever see this done in a normal printing centre? or would i have to go to some other kind of place?

thanks in advance.

Jul 29, 06 12:06 pm

there are always ads in the back of dwell magazine, but i've never had it done.

Jul 29, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

silkscreen it, standard printer ink probly wouldnt work on that material.

Jul 29, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

large format plotters can print full-color on canvas. Probably have to go to a printing house.

Jul 29, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Avery makes a product that can go into household printers -- I think for the inkjets. I've only seen it in 8.5x11 though.

Jul 29, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

ive done it on your average plotter. hp sells a certain type of canvas that can be printed on.

Jul 29, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Tounge printing

High-security drug printer;
Everyday drugs such as painkillers can easily be misused. But Hewlett-Packard thinks it has a solution - a device that "prints" controlled doses of a drug onto a patient's tongue.
It includes a print head similar to that of an ink jet printer and the drug itself is stored inside a replaceable cartridge similar to the ones used to carry ink.

When the patient presses a button the print head jets a tightly controlled dose into their mouth. But this will only work if an electronic timer permits it, and a password could be used to check the identity of the user.

Hewlett-Packard plans to make the device tamper-proof by surrounding cartridges with a chamber filled with a chemical designed to neutralise the effects of the drug. For example, naltrexone will counter the effect of fentanyl analgesic.

If anyone tries to drill through the cartridge the neutralising chemical will be released inside. Efforts to tamper with the timer system will also release the chemical, as the printer will send a current that will cause the separating wall between the two compounds to melt.

Read the full patent applicatoin here.

~~~~~

- " hey where're you goin boss "
- " i'm gonna get printed a little. be back in a jiffy"

Jul 29, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

When no one is looking load up some canvas in the plotter, media type - opaque bond. You may have to try a few times, worst case scenario is the print heads will 'wear out' and need to be replaced. I've fed all sorts of stuff through our plotter in the middle of the night, from tyvek to cheesecloth. You may need to place masking tape on the edges to prevent it from catching.

Jul 29, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: