Charlie Rose w Thom mayne "free" on google video "today"

Marlin
Marlin
charlie rose with thom mayne

history of oil
Jul 29, 06 5:32 am  · 
 · 
bigness

he's coming to bologna for a conference in september, needless to say i'm looking foward to it...marlin, have you ever met him?

Jul 29, 06 6:43 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

Met him at the old sciarc building in marina del rey, and crossed conversations with him a few times at his old partner, Jim Stafford's former office. Thom is really tall with really big hands.

It appears much of Charlie Rose's shows are free on google "today", including this episode with ol' Frank Gehry himself.

It's 4am. Man, this red bull stuff really keeps you going.

Jul 29, 06 6:56 am  · 
 · 

i watch/listen to these charlie rose interviews all the time while i work, and i am amazed at how ineloquant architects are compared to his other guests (minus the occassional actor) e.g. mayne, gehry, piano, calatrava, holl, hadid.

they may be good at writing manifestos, but totally incoherent off the cuff.

The only exception is koolhaas and eisenman in my opinion.

Jul 29, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

funny you've said that. rem and peter are the only ones who also write books.

Jul 29, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

a couple interesting things out of that interview:

does avant garde architecture in the u.s. need to start somewhere else, before it can be realized here? are americans afraid of new things? is culture in the united states, driven by commerce really conservative, only accepting new things at great struggle, and only if it has been tested abroad? are we clinging to some made up culture because we dont have real history?

he talks about his office's culture, "design is in the process"... he says tha architecture is about the culture of the studio, its not something that can be said, its in the working... if thats the case, what does it take to create a culture of creativity, experimentation and innovation within a real world context? is it just a matter of finding like minded and talented people? is it about risk taking? he doesn't care if it is built... he has come to the realization that "you don't have control over the second part" (the getting built)... he loves the work even if its not built, its architecture... is he right?

Jul 29, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
allcaps

dot, I'm just amazed by what a blowhard C. Rose is. He is a great cheerleader for architecture, but he often answers his own questions to guests.

If it was the interview with Mayne I saw, I remember thinking Mayne was very clear. And really inspirational.

Last I heard, Morphosis was the #1 architect for federal buildings in America. This from a firm that makes buildings that look like Soviet prisons after the apocalypse. They get the crazy stuff built -- on the government dime. All while having, what I hear is a good studio environment.

Shit, maybe I'll apply.

Thanks for the link Marlin.

Jul 29, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

yeah, that's me and 15 virgins stading outside the hotel he'll be staying in when over here. the thing i like most about him is that he combines the no-bullshit attitude of some americans, without the belief that America is faultless. in a nutshell

Jul 30, 06 6:44 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

More fodder for Channel Archinect

Charlie Rose chit chats with Rem Koolhaas.
Discussion with rem begins @ 27:47

and the 30-second funny: Revenge is a dish best served old

Jul 30, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

hadn't seen that rk charlie rose before. amazing to watch a really thoughtful person speak extemporaneously. you can tell that, despite the questions not being known, these are all things that he's already thought about - and beyond that > developed a way to think about it that is consistent with a larger world view.

it's sometimes fun to pick on koolhaas because he's a star but he is also just really smart.

Jul 30, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just watched twenty minutes and realized that i was watching some israeli guy. i was wondering why he wasnt talking about buildings...do you really think that he hadn't been asked those questions about new york before steven? i like the way he refers to china as an emerging culture other than an oppressive fascist(not communist) regime...i really question anyone's ethics who are willing to work in china. but thats just me...

Jul 30, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbody

i thought that the talk was revealing in terms of the design path Thom Mayne is investigating. He noted that he was interested in evolutionary biology and the emergent behaviors and connections it has with architecture.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this architectural "trend" towards more and more complex strategies with parallels with evolutionary biology which Thom Mayne believes that architecture is continuing in such a direction.

Also, Thom Mayne mentioned a book on evolutionary biology that he was reading. He talked about it around 40 minutes into the interview. Did anyone get the author's name?

thx

Aug 8, 06 2:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: