Archinect
anchor

3D on the new Macbook

andre 101

anybody triend running 3D software(formZ, sketchup, maya) on the new Macbooks.

I was wondering if you were better of with an older generation Powerbook G4 with a good graphic card than the newer macbooks with the basic one. Anybody got a hint!

Thanks

Jul 28, 06 10:52 am
Kardiogramm

it might be better to stick with the older powerbook if the application you are using isn't a universal binary (maya, formz and sketchup aren't at the moment, but they will be at some point). Sketchup seems to work fine under Rosetta (the emulator that allows poerpc apps to run on intel), maya works but takes forever to start up, and form z seems to be fine for smaller projects, but rendering takes a while. on the otherhand if you are using cinema 4d or modo 201 then you won't have any problems since they are universal apps. well i've used these apps on a macbook pro 2.0 ghz with 2gigs ram not quite sure how the intergrated graphics would affect the performance.

Jul 31, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

you could just run them on bootcamp even if it defeats the point of owning a mac since you still get the messy UI and viruses.

Jul 31, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
bigness

rhino on macbook very slow, really bad mesh rendering in shaded mode. as for the macbook pro, i will see as soon as i get my hand's on my colleague's (1.8 ghz, 512 ram)

Jul 31, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
andre 101

thanks a lot for those hints!

Very Helpfull.

Aug 1, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: