Archinect
anchor

Hollywood and Architecture

nilla

I was just woundering if anyone else has started to see more noticable architure in hollywood films. I have seen the Cal Trans building by morphosis appear in I believe three seperate movies.

Jul 28, 06 10:41 am

This isn't really new.... you may be suprised at the number of film characters that all supposedly live in Case Study 22 or a handful of other landmark Los Angeles homes.

Jul 28, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

hollywood thrives on palagerism. always has and always will.
no original thoughts have ever emerged from the studios...

Jul 28, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Blade Runner

features the Bradbury Building. L.A. Confidential features a Neutra home. Lautner's Chemosphere was featured in Body Double

Jul 28, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
nilla

like it or not but hollywood controls the pop culture and pop culture has influence in the realm of architecture. I was just pleased to see some worthwhile architecture appear in such a medium.

Jul 28, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i agree w/ treekiller. as a set designer, first things they hand you over in the production meeting, are bunch of photos torn from various magazines and books. same goes with wardrope and hair and make up. i am sure it goes all the way into stories and film texture, lighting and grain. very few original films and everybody imitates and rips them off to death.

Jul 28, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

lautner

Jul 28, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

In my hollywood daze as an art director and set designer, we never had time to invent anything new, so got to spend $$$ on books and magazines for reference. Even on the sci-fi stuff, there is always a contemporary architecture influence, from Lebbeus Woods (who sued 12 Monkeys and won for palagerism) to Greg Lynn. Look at how star trek evolved....

Jul 28, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: