Archinect
anchor

Dry-Erase Paint. does it exist?

biggz

Anyone ever used dry-erase paint eg. white markerboard, erasable paint? I need to cover a conference room wall with this stuff.
Can anyone point me to a product or supplier... in NY if possible.
Thanks

Jul 27, 06 2:26 pm
Barrett

I googled it and saw some fairly budget websites that I wouldn't feel comfortable giving my financial info. One thought is that you could use a teflon coating type paint, maybe find it through a marine supplier, they use it to paint boat hulls to keep barnacles from accumulating...all you need is any smooth surface really, the marker ink is the erasable part. White acrylic panels would even suffice, probably comparable in price to the $100 gallon of dry-erase paint.

Jul 27, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

yeah i googled some companies, it seems the dryrasemagic paint is the cheapest (an gimmickiest)at $100/gallon, but who knows if it works.
I just got off thephone with jmlproductsanddesign and they offer a paint that adheres with some sort of light curing for $7.95/ft (f^#^ that).
but they do offer 'skins' either low or high glare, transparent or w/ white backing for $3.25/ft, that are self adhesive, about 4 mil thick, comes in 4' lengths by whatever.
so a 8' a 9' wall comes out to about $260/$280 w/ shipping.
thats kind of acceptable.

if anyone knows of a better alternative...

Jul 27, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
James Meyer

we have a dry erase wall in the office I beleive we used the dryrase magic stuff but it was a couple years ago... anyway it works....barely be prepared to have to wash it everytime you truely want erase something but for general use its ok. Warning though our wall is also our pin up wall and you have be careful to use only painters tape on it or it will rip off the surface

Jul 27, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It's not a paint, but there's a vinyl wall covering called WallTalker that we've used on a couple projects with good results.

Jul 27, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

walltalker has a variety of products in their dry-erase line. some of 'em don't even look like dry erase surfaces! (i joined some interior designers for a wall coverings lunch and learn last week ;)

Jul 27, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

i'm interested in more of a wall whisperer.
kidding.
but there seems to be a lot out there actually.
http://www.ahutton.com/ is a good source.
http://jmlproductsanddesign.com stillseems to be the least expensive covering at $3.25/ft.
walltalkers is promising, the 'erase-rite' seems like it will work..any word on price psf. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
thanks all...

Jul 27, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

I'm about 99% positive that a high gloss oil-based paint will work for dry-erase on gypsum wall board.

Jul 27, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: