Archinect
anchor

Best small towns for Architecture/Architects in US

arclem

That is great.

Jul 28, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
AP

arclem, i've been living primarily in Florida for the past 25 years.

I've called 6 cities in this state "home" at one point or another.

Jul 28, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
AP

also, your logic is not. it's entirely absent. read what i wrote yesterday, then read your response again. utterly nescient.

as you can gather by the ensuing discussion, your initial post wasn't clear (re: what size cities are we "supposed" to be talking about).

Every US city has its share of garbage. non-point.

Visit Miami. There are a great deal of relatively small projects - similar to the scale that Blackwell operates at, which are very high caliber.

...and great professors at a state school do contribute to the architectural climate in a given city or state. There are countless UF alumni working in Florida that are doing quality work - from Jacksonville to the Keys.

lose the grudge, arclem.

Jul 28, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
arclem

Ok my friend

Jul 28, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
magic_pie

Des Moines, Iowa. Decent amount of work going on there- The new Public Library was just completed- designed by Chipperfield.

Jul 28, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
baker

FYI - Des Moines, Iowa is also the home of a significant design firm, HLKB. Their work is quite strong and many of their projects have been published in the recent past.

www.hlkb.com

Jul 28, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

The only problem with small cities, mine included (Waukegan IL, 90,000 people) is growing your firm.

We are looking into adding a second office in Chicago just to attract talent to the firm. Waukegan and the surrounding area has more work than the eight of us can handle. See our job listings if you are looking for a a big fish in little pond feel.

Jul 29, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Small cities information...

[url=http://www.inc.com/magazine/20060501/boomtowns-small.html]

(I hope this link works)

Jul 30, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Test to insert a liink for above:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20060501/boomtowns-small.html

Jul 30, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
some person

Check out this website for an analysis of cities that are based on your preferences. You can filter by large and small cities.

Find Your Spot

Jul 30, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

A majority of those Inc. cited cities have one thing in common. They are in regions that are experiencing significant droughts.

Jul 30, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
SaltyOrange

Princeton, NJ - YES
Allentown, PA - NO

Aug 3, 06 4:46 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

small town, eh? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_and_Meserve%27s_Purchase%2C_New_Hampshire]Thompson and Meserve Purchase, New Hampshire[url]

Aug 3, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

i mean...

small town, eh?

Thompson and Meserve Purchase, New Hampshire

Aug 3, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Anyone know how the market is in:
Raleigh/Durham, NC??
Charleston, SC??
Greenville, SC??
Savannah, GA??

Aug 4, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Baker and/or magpie... either of you work for them?

Aug 4, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I love www.findyourspot.com, though it seems certain cities appear regardless of parameters. Here's mine:

Portland, Oregon
Reno, Nevada
Medford, Oregon
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Charleston, West Virginia
Salem, Oregon
Eugene, Oregon
Hartford, Connecticut
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Frederick, Maryland
Little Rock, Arkansas
Corvallis, Oregon
Worcester, Massachusetts
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Carson City, Nevada
Bend, Oregon
Washington, District of Columbia
Providence, Rhode Island
Danbury, Connecticut
New Haven, Connecticut
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston, Massachusetts
Santa Cruz, California

I don't see LA on there, so where should I go?

Aug 4, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

centerbrook connecticut.... might be a place for someone looking small. However a Yale Degree might be required.

Aug 4, 06 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
rsteath

While on Connecticut, would anyone agree New Haven?

Aug 5, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
db

ok louismeier, I will speak up for St.Louis -- though the population figures stated above are certainly for the metropolitan region, as the city itself is about 350k. There are some intersting things happening, as well as some new and recent buildings that bode well. Drove by the new Maki building today, and while nice, seems a bit insular -- still, a good blip on the map. Otherwise, the result of a low city population (though it is growing/regaining steadily) is that there are a number of opportunities for small firms to do rehab and development work (not McMansions). Some friends of mine are in the process of completing a nice job of converting a 10+ unit building to 3 live/work units -- will post pics when I get some.

Aug 5, 06 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I choose Lansing, Michigan. Apart from all of the obvious cultural advantages, my Mom just told me that if I moved back, I would be the fifth largest Architecture firm in town.

Aug 5, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont move to albucrackee.

Aug 5, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

for larger 2nd tier cities, Mpls is def up there. St Louis looks like it may have a future at recovering downtown/riverfront (soulard) area.

small towns, charlottesville, va; boulder, co;

i'd have to say no on new haven, and what's w/ fargo-moorhead & st cloud... st cloud are you serious?

Aug 7, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: