Archinect
anchor

So I've decided to take the job in New York.

But I could use your 'chinections. Myself and the lady will be moving up September 1st, and I will be starting work on the 18th. Currently the plan is to hole up with friends while our stuff's in storage until we find a place.

We are aware of all the typical outlets (Village Voice, Craigslist, NY Times...) but have discovered that the best places can more readily be found through people whose neighbors or selves are moving out.

If any of you are aware of decent (preferably excellent) lofts or apartments coming on the market for under $2000, post them here.

Jul 26, 06 8:05 pm
A Center for Ants?

get a good broker

Jul 26, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Excellent point.

Anyone who knows a good broker, especially one with knowledge of the 'burg, pleast post.

Jul 26, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

are you quitting grad school then?

Jul 27, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

my roomie and i are moving out of a three bedroom in park slope..
available sept. 1st. it's a beautiful apartment right on the park..
total rent is 2800 (one bedroom is taken by an soon to be ex
roommate who is perfectly friendly)

don't know if she's even started looking for replacements yet.

Jul 27, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Damn New York is pricey!!!

Jul 27, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 

K,

for now, yes, since i'm only 22 and have a year of it under my belt. as long as the m arch comes around before 30, i'm not complaining, and i think i'll benefit more from it with more professional experience. in any case, it's not every day that your fist co-op offers you a full time position.

lars,

many thanks, but i don't think we have a lifestyle or personality that could deal with roommates. we've been living together for 4 years, and are completely accustomed to not sharing our space.

Jul 27, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
jackhogan

myself and two friends are moving to NYC 31 August for 10 months from ireland. larslarson, we would be very interested in the other two rooms if two people could stay in one, that is if you're not interested 5. we're recently qualified guy & two girl architects from university college dublin. thx

Jul 27, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I guess so, although I'm surprised that any professional employer would do such a thing. At least you have the option to go back when the market bottoms out.

Jul 27, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

K,
I have a BS, and a year of MArch...i don't see why you would consider that a problem

Jul 27, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

hogan,
it's all yours

Jul 27, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's not a problem at all. It is your life, after all! I just find it somewhat irresponsible when firms entice lower level employees to quit school and work for them. I'm not saying this is the case with you but I have seen it before with much more vulnerable people. It puts the firm at a great advantage.....they get to employ someone who has the same potential and possibly the same skill set of a graduate architect, but they have no obligation to pay you the same or promote you in any way. You are essentially a Cad tech. It will be a good experience for you to be in the workplace for an extended period of time, though.

Please understand, I am not trying to be presumptuous. I just automatically think very highly of fellow Bearcats and want to see all of us do well.

Jul 27, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

hogan..

i am movin out...so it'd be up to my roommate..
but i will say that four people in the apartment makes it a bit
cramped.

if i see my roomie i'll ask how the search is going.

Jul 27, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

K,

i appreciate your concern; i am aware that i have no potential for advancement without a terminal degree in the field, and i am only doing it for the experience. true, they won't have to pay me as much as they would if i were an m arch, but, like most graduate educations, it is highly advantageous to have work experience that helps to frame the education. the salary i will be making is, in our field, very generous, and many of the offers i hear m archs getting. of course, you're right, it does help that the market is very hot still.

luckily, i am not very good with cad--as an intern, i spent most of my time designing, which was very rewarding, and an aptitude that, in my experience, varies more between individuals than it does between levels of education.

Jul 27, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

also K, since i'm assuming you've already guessed what firm it is, please don't give the name

Jul 27, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: