Archinect
anchor

Why do....?

archit84

why do architects either a. Hate their jobs or b. think the work at their firms is perfect and believe that everyone else does trash or doesn't "get it"
I don't hate my job nor do I think the work we do is perfect...am I still allowed to be in architecture or do I get kicked out for this?

Jul 25, 06 11:37 pm
SuperBeatledud

where do you come up with these lies?

Jul 26, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

It just seems like that because those two categories of people talk louder than the rest.

Yes, I hate my job. I made a poor choice. It happens. I certainly don't think that it makes me more qualified for the profession than those who don't- in fact, I'm taking steps to get the hell out.

Jul 26, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
James Meyer

I hate my job, but its great work..... So I guess I'm in the middle...wait maybe I just hate the powermongering napolian character right above me...grrr.... yep thats it

Jul 26, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Why... do you never see baby pigeons?

Why... can you not fold a piece of paper more than 8 times?

Why... is a pregnant goldfish called a twit?

/this is a question thread right?

Jul 26, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I am willing to bet that you have met less than 10% of the architects in the world, or even in whatever country you are in, yet you feel comfortable making these blanket statements about architects and demanding answers from the community. Why is that?

Maybe try putting yourself in a situation you have some respect for, it will make you happier.

Jul 26, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
TED

well that sucks - the James R. Lairmore Award no longer is being awarded -- how could they??? [oh sorry, wrong thread - this is why do ...?

"The award shall go to that person, who in the opinion of the committee has done the most service to pigeons in general

Jul 26, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
cf

From the highrise I once worked in, the pidgeons hatching on the window ledge were featherless and purple.

Jul 26, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

TED - I don't think servicing pigeons should be worthy of an award... it's downright disgraceful.

Jul 26, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
TED

clean....urban....pigeon!

Jul 26, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Why no baby pigeons?? Easy- NIXALITE!

Jul 26, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

FYI..pigeons mate ( on average) 9 times daily.

Jul 26, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Why do some pidgeons loose there claws?
Some hobble around on stumps.

Jul 26, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

cf, Yea come to think of it , thats true..i guess thats cos of entangling in power lines, kite strings etc .

Jul 26, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

suddenly

a

?

Jul 26, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I shot a beautiful pigeon once in the jungle in a hunting trip.im feeling bad about it ( after so many years )at this moment.

whats the difference between a pigeon and a dove ?

Jul 26, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Burt Bacharach, nice.

Jul 26, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

The doves are the 308 species of near passerine birds in the order Columbiformes. The terms dove and pigeon are used interchangeably, although smaller species are more likely to be called doves.--Wikipedia

i made a poem,

-Infatuation is a pigeon ,
when in love ,its called a dove hahaha

Jul 26, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

is there a standard for flying rats?

he he he! the only good pigeon is a dead one!

Jul 26, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I think the common pidgeon is a Rock Dove.?

Jul 26, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Pigeon, common name for members of a family of birds; smaller species are commonly known as doves, but sizes of pigeons and doves overlap. The birds, almost worldwide in distribution, are most abundant in warm regions.

Pigeons have small heads, short necks, stout bodies with short legs, and sleek plumage and have a fleshy or waxy protuberance, the cere, at the base of the bill. They dwell in trees or on the ground and feed on seeds, fruit, acorns and other nuts, and insects. Pigeons fly rapidly and are noted for their cooing call. They build loose, almost flat, nests of twigs, bark, straw, and weeds; the female lays one or two tan or white eggs.

The best-known species is the common pigeon, whose wild ancestor, native to Europe and Asia, is called the rock dove. It is about 33 cm (about 13 in) long, bluish gray above, with black markings on the wings and a whitish rump; below, it is purplish on the breast and bluish on the abdomen. The sides of the neck, especially in males, are iridescent. The more than 200 domestic breeds as well as the variably colored street or feral pigeons are derived from this species. Homing pigeons, which also vary in color, are bred for their navigational abilities and not for plumage characters. Among the other domestic breeds are the carrier pigeon, a tall, erect form with large wattles around the eyes and the base of the bill, whose name is commonly misapplied to the homing pigeon; the frills, characterized by forward curvature of the tips of the feathers of the neck and body, giving a ruffled appearance; the pouters, which can dilate the crop region into a swollen globe; and the jacobin (a favorite pet of Queen Victoria), whose elongated neck feathers form a hood over the head.

The appropriately named white-crowned pigeon, a Caribbean species that extends north to southern Florida, is the only wild member of its genus found in the eastern United States. The larger band-tailed pigeon, about 39 cm (about 15 in) long, has a range extending from coastal British Columbia and the Rocky Mountains south to Argentina. The passenger pigeon, once common throughout the United States, has been extinct since 1914.

Jul 26, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED
Jul 26, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I shouldnt be saying this since Im feeling bad and all, but game pigeons taste awesome !

Jul 26, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I like to season mine for 24 hours in a picante sauce.

Field dressing is another story.

Because of eye trouble, side shots are difficult. Old timers swear by the pump action because it leads you into the bird. Try the semi automatic.

This is what happens to you when your boss likes hunting.

Jul 26, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

At first when I saw 20 responses came to this thread in 2 hours I said "whoops, I should have let this one just die". But I take it back once I read all the posts!

My pigeon story:

One time I was walking down an alley way to lunch and I saw a pigeon wandering in the middle of it, and I thought "that pigeon isn't playing safe, I should shoosh him away" but I didn't.

I walked back from lunch roughly 30 minutes later, and saw the same pigeon in the same spot, but this time he was about 1/2" thick, thanks to some delivery truck. And suddenly I remembered something that my Uncle Ben said:

"With great powers comes great responsibilities"

Jul 26, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

cf. small story ...

my friend and me once pumped 7 tablets into a wild boar of aprrx 250 kgs ...( me 7, he 3 from a glock ! ).

when we reached home 2 hours later with the carcass. ...It "woke" up in the outhouse, where it was supposed to be skinned and cleaned. It tusked my friend thru his ankle and tore another guy's forearm muscle.
the Ankle friend wears an internal steel rod to this date

Superbeatledud..sad story but I guess it was the pigeon'ss karma.

Jul 26, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

archit84, I don't either think my work is perfect OR hate my job. I do hate pigeons.

I love my chosen profession despite the daily/hourly ups and downs of it.

rationalist is right - those two groups just talk the loudest, be they bitching or bragging. If you enjoy what you do, then continue to enjoy it, and simultaneously strive to do it better. We do have a profession that can impact change in people's lives, either positive or negative: try to work for the greater good. And keep a good attitude.

But go ahead and aim for pigeons with your car.

Jul 26, 06 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like pigeons...

Jul 26, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I don't like pigeons. Or rodents. Or rodents that act like pigeons.

Jul 26, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

rodents are fine as long as those crawl into the crib and eat my child...

Jul 26, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
upside

how cool would it be to have giant flaps of skin you could glide with

Jul 26, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have those there called jowls, dude.

Jul 26, 06 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

cf and nevermore, brothers in arms...in this thread and others

Jul 26, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Jul 26, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

pigeons = flying rats

Jul 27, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

why do birds suddenly appear
every time you are near?

Jul 27, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Why do birds sing?

Jul 27, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

sex of course.

Jul 27, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
e909
Why do some pidgeons loose there claws?
Some hobble around on stumps.

http://solo2.abac.com/themole/tubeanimals.html

"One of those "Stange but true" facts is that pigeon poo actually rots the feet of pigeons.

This question cropped up in the "Answers to Correspondents" section of the Daily Mail, and some guy of a ornothological leaning gave the above answer."

at first i wondered if mites do this.

Jul 28, 06 2:58 am  · 
 · 
e909

just like you
they want to poo
close to you
lada doooo

Jul 28, 06 3:57 am  · 
 · 
e909

well, it rhymes

Jul 28, 06 3:57 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I can't understand why this one hasn't died yet!!!

Jul 28, 06 8:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: