Archinect
anchor

Ghost Lab - 8

chupacabra

Well the ghost lab was a great experience. Lots of work got done in the 15 days, 10 of build. The finished shell for the studio was 90' x 20', 23' from decking on the high side and 13' on the low side. I was able to do everything from general labor, to framing, to metal work (cutting, no welding), drilling through concrete with a large HILTI, and more.

The site itself is gorgeous. The fog and the fog horn, the wind, the moon, and so much more. The whole area is one of the more beautiful natural areas I have had the pleasure of visiting; Ocean, estuaries, lakes, rivers, and more.

If you get a chance, go. You will not be disapointed. The cabins that were begun last year were recently finished and were very nice to stay in. The whole experience exceeded my greatest expectations. I will return for the ghost lab 10 reunion and look forward to seeing the results from the upcoming two years of lab work.

See my photos here:
http://flickr.com/photos/thepeculiarform/tags/ghostlab/

Jul 24, 06 4:36 pm
chupacabra
xtbl

hey, what is this, ghostlab? it looks really cool.

Jul 24, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

It is a design build summer program in Nova Scotia, Canada put on by Brian Mackay - Lyons.

The work is very accesible and intelligent with regards to design, use of material, cost, site, cultural association and more.

Jul 24, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

man, how did i miss out on this!? must've been asleep @ the wheel. is this something they do every summer? is there an application process? great pics, by the way.

Jul 24, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Every summer. Apply through the Mackay -Lyons Sweetapple firm.

http://www.mlsarchitects.ca/building/academic/

I believe it is pretty much every year starting around July 1st.

-thanks!

Jul 24, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

no, thank you! i'm definitely going to look into this for next summer!

Jul 24, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
archidose

More pics from another participant (not me) here.

Jul 24, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Dru's pics are dope! Through his comments you can get a better idea of the whole process.

Definately go if you have the chance.

Jul 24, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: