Archinect
anchor

London Must See

adjspcs

I am taking off for London in a week and am compiling a "must see" list of buildings. Any suggestions... just looking to add some more to the list.
thanks
-R

Jul 21, 06 11:03 pm
Christopher Daniel

Ok, a few off the top of my head and in no particular order:

The Great Courtyard at the British Museum by Norman Foster.
The Lloyds Building by Richard Rodgers
30 St Mary's Axe by Norman Foster (walking distance from Lloyds)
The Soane Museum by Sir John Soane (his own house on Lincoln's Inn Fields, now a museum)
Media Centre at Lord's Cricket Ground by Future Systems
Serpentine Pavilion 2006 in Hyde Park by Rem Koolhaas (it's rubbish, but also only temporary so definitely go for a walk in the park and see it)

There's also a small recent Daniel Libeskind building at London Metropolitan University on Holloway Road, but it's a bit disappointing really. Not worth the effort of a trip to north London.

Those are the first few things that jump into my head. They're all qite obvious. I'll have a proper think about it and get back to you with some suggestions that aren't pure starchitecture. It's the least I can do with all the help that US Archinecters are giving me with roadtrip inspiration!

Jul 22, 06 5:28 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

say it again, check the archives check the archives check the archives

Jul 22, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Check these out:

link">http://www.kultureflash.net/engines/print.asp?edition=89&event=1940&subscriber=<EmailHere>]link[/url]

Jul 23, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
eyalll27

if you like to see a"diferent side" if London try "camden town" in the day you will find there colorful people and "strange fetish shops" and at night great pubs (you can go to "the end of the world or any other irish pub there) and club (the sin city is a great one 0 open at frieday night).

hope that i helped a litlle

Eyal

Jul 24, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Lisa Carmen

Walk. In london some of my favourite days were spent walking with my camera and discovering. i used to use the Gherkin as a landmark to locate myself. Especially as an architect I find, apart from the usual landmarks you see alot of interesting details in London like different housing typologies and residential conditions. Also simply cool brickwork and junctions.

But generally - Camden, Along the river, Angel, Hoxton, Old Street area.

Jul 25, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
b-money

Walk along the thames from the Tate modern to parliament.
Go see Soane's house.
Go to the British Library. There are remarkable treasures there including the magna carta, a gallery of john lennon's notes taken as he composed songs, and a page from the bible. Not a copy of the bible, but the actual handwritten first edition (60ad) bible.
Check out the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons.
Also check out Postman's Park, a memorial to extraordinary acts performed by ordinary people. Alice in the movie 'Closer' got her name here.

Jul 25, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: