Archinect
anchor

shiny steel

A Center for Ants?

i want to apply a glossy clear coat to polished steel tubing. anyone done this before? i'm afraid of the clearcoat bonding to the metal properly w/o a primer...

Jul 20, 06 6:39 pm
interstitial

1. Make sure to clean the surface with acetone thoroughly before applying any paint. Before Applying paint be sure to buff out the acetone residue with a dry cloth. You will know when the residue is gone.

2. Don't know what the exact look you are going for but if you want to darken the steel up a bit you can use a black matte spray paint lightly dusted over the steel. With the freshly sprayed paint on the steel you can tone it down and blend it back into the steel using a rag and small amounts of acetone (you will have to test what works best for you). After this drys you can move onto the next step. Find this is the look that most people are really looking for.

3. Then using a spray gun apply thin layers of clear coat to your liking. Make sure the room has plenty of ventilation.

or for more help

clear coat finishes

and maybe this is the better website for this discussion, i dont know just found it on the web recently.

Jul 20, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

use chrome....or find a plating manufacturer who can give you the look.

Jul 20, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

chrome is more expensive. thought about powder coating too. but i want to do it on a budget so i want somehting i can do myself (i have access to a compressor/airbrush)...

looking at that website, looks like something called por-15 glisten is a good bet. i can polish the steel and then clear coat it with that stuff even as a brush-on... thanks guys.

Jul 20, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

try keracote microclear - manufacturer is nicindustries.com

ceramic epoxy - used as antigraffiti coating & decorative resilient dear coat in marine environments (hi salt etc).

personally - I would recommend a light glass bead (#10) blast prior to coating - it will bite the material & bond better.

Jul 21, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hell is chrome

Jul 21, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: