Archinect
anchor

3ds Max Radiosity issue

laistm

I've been trying to render an interior view with mesh furniture and with a radiosity solution. however, when the radiosity solution is finished, parts of the furniture remains un-calculated (if you know what i mean) and shows up as black in the viewport. On rendering, these areas become faceted. eg. the cushions on the bed, the matress and the cusions on the sofa all lose their smoothness....can anyone help?

Jul 20, 06 4:29 pm
Barrett

are you assigning a radiosity mesh size to the couch object...as opposed to using the global radiosity mesh size? (select object, right click select properties, and click the advanced lighting tab). Also assign it a custom # to refine iterations. Sounds like your radiosity mesh is not small enough to properly calculate the geometry. Or you can apply a smoothing modifier to breakdown the objects mesh before you even calculate radiosity.

Jul 20, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

the model is at 1:1 scale using architectural units. I've tried using the global subdivions with and without adaptive subdivision (meshing size from 12" to min 2"), tried assigning a subdivion indivually to the objects - again with and without adaptive subdivions, applied a smooth modifier, applied subdivide modifier, subdivisions @1" mesh size... and refine iterations till the 6th iterations, but nothing seems to work....

Jul 21, 06 2:23 am  · 
 · 
manamana

check normals?

Jul 21, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 
laistm

the normals are all fine. the model renders fine when i use standard lights with no radiosity. it somehow gives a problem when i do radiosity

Jul 21, 06 4:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: