Archinect
anchor

Help with AutoCAD

samy

Hi anyone who is proficient in AutoCAD. I just got some CAD drawings in 2004 format from Europe and all the measurements are in decimal units, which are used as millimeters. Is there a way to convert this in feet and inches automatically or I have to convert manually and make a new drawings.

Thanks for help,

Sammy

Jul 20, 06 3:09 pm
Living in Gin

As far as I know, there really isn't a quick and easy way, other than setting your units to "Architectural" and scaling the entire drawing. A couple things to keep in mind when taking this approach:

1) Back up your drawings beforehand, so you have something to revert to if you mistakenly fuck things up.

2) Make sure all your layers are on, thawed, and unlocked so that you're scaling the entire drawing, and not just certain objects.

3) Use the maximum precision possible for your units and conversion factor. This means setting your units to 1/256", and scaling the drawing by 0.03937 (i.e., not rounding to 0.04).

4) If these drawings XREF into each other, be sure you're selecting the same base point in each drawing.

If you need step-by-step instructions, let me know.

Jul 20, 06 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
jh

you need to scale by 1/25.4, which is 0.0390625 - that is if the project is in millimeters. i worked in an office that most project were metric. we had a lisp routine to convert, but i found it easier to work in metric. all GSA project are metric - it is just a matter of time before we convert.

Jul 20, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Format > Drawing Set Up > Units

Jul 20, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: