Archinect
anchor

LA job market

casual

For all those angelenos - How competitive is the job market? Is there a lot of focus on digital skills in the applicants? Atypical long working hours / low pay rates in relation to the cost of living? High turnover rates? I see many job postings on here from the LA vicinity, so any thoughts and experiences you have, types of projects you've worked on, please share!

Jul 19, 06 11:20 pm

Wide range of pay- at one point I was making almost twice as much as someone I know who had been out of school several years more than me. So you can find good pay if you're willing to look, but there are also people out there trying to screw you, too. Digital skills are very important. Yes, pretty high turnover. You can work on anything you want- it's all getting designed here!

Jul 20, 06 1:18 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the pay is really dependant upon who you're working for. it's too hard to generalize all the firms into an LA "scene" as you'd be comparing apples to oranges. the firms all run the gamut in design and work environment.

what'd be better is if you had a clear idea of what kind of job you're looking for...

Jul 20, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

if you want to work in LA and you're not a moron, you'll get a job

Jul 20, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

You'll probably get one even if you ARE a moron...

Jul 20, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

girls like guys with skills

Jul 20, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i heard the LADBS might be looking for some new plancheckers...

Jul 20, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
casual

oh cool, cuz i am a moron. thanks guys!

Jul 20, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Skillz. With a z. Regular 'skills' get nothing.

Jul 21, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: