Archinect
anchor

Z for Zumthor

Becker

Just read the latest article in BD review on Peter Zumthor and i wanted to know if anybody had worked for him, or had any Zumthor experiences to share?

I saw him speak in Sydney last year as part of the Black Talk series. it was a very interesting talk. He spoke about some of his latest projects, including the Kolomba museum, and the Field Chapel (which is an insanely awesome project). if you don't know about the project here is my interpretation. - imagine a primitive timber hut, shaped like a tipi, or group of tipi's, with timber logs positioned around the centre vertically, leaning in over the inner space. then, make rectilinear formwork around the outside of this hut. fill slowly with concrete so the layers are evident, and dense. keep raising the formwork until you leave only the very top of the 'tipi' exposed. then, this is the plan at the time i heard it) set fire to the tipi, exposing the concrete's charred surface, and unique form.
simply beautiful stuff.

Jul 18, 06 1:38 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: