Archinect
anchor

The Inevitable Project Runway Thread

****melt

So I'm sitting here, eating lunch and procrastinating watching the Project Runway that had Santino, Daniel and Chloe and have concluded that their season was the best. Runner up was the one with Laura, Uli, Jeff and Michael.

Anyone agree/disagree? What season do you feel had the strongest designers.

Nov 16, 09 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Make it work pple. New season starts tonight, back in the NYC!

Jan 14, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Watching now!

Jan 14, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
parkerm

I kind of liked the dress with the pointy shoulders! Maybe if it were in a different fabric though...
But yay for being back in NYC with both Nina and Michael there!

Jan 15, 10 10:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I hope Anthony keeps being his sassy Southern accent self right through to the end. He better start doing better designs, though, if that's going to happen.

Loved the rockabilly guy's dress. Ping looks like she'll be fun to watch. And the herringbone suit with the off-the-shoulder red top was very cool - can't recall who made it.

Jan 15, 10 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I knew Ping was going to be an archinect favorite!

Although I'm kind of glad because I like to her too. I think her, the rockabilly guy and the two guys with glasses are the ones to watch.

Jan 15, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I finally caught this on re-run. I LOOOOVE the dress that won. Thank goodness for a new season, and starting off on the RIGHT note for once! On the other hand, Mr. Lizard-Skin should totally have been kicked off -- the girl who lost not only had a better dress, but had a better showing of previous work (when they showed it earlier). She seemed a lot more promising. I hate to say it, but (apart from Korto -- was that her name?) they don't seem to know how to handle black female designers. Honestly. I really liked the two fabrics she had paired, and you could at least tell what she was going for, even though it wasn't executed well; meanwhile, Mr. Lizard Skin picked shite fabric -- a bad pattern AND a bad color -- and then executed a boring and unflattering dress with it. There was nothing redeeming about that piece of poo.

Jan 18, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thank goodness it's back in New York! I already like it better than last season. I love Anthony for entertainment value and I hope he can produce enough to stay on it longer. I love the dress that won. I think Ping is going to be an easy target but I thought it was a mistake to kick off what's-her-name on the first show (you know, silver hexagon lady?) last season... at least Ping will make things interesting for a few episodes.

manta I agree with you on the confusion over the girl who lost but the lizard dress, bizarre as though it was, was extremely well executed and constructed. Also I didn't think it was that bad... I understood how he thought he was being innovative. I have to admit that my opinion was swayed when they said it looked like a giant chocolate bar and then I immediately liked it more, LOL.

Jan 18, 10 4:26 am  · 
 · 
mishka00

This group is definitely more promising than last, although the final 3 collections last season were far better than I thought they would be.

The recurrent Flamboyant Beauty Queen Pageant Designer motif is getting worn out - I don't care for Anthony because he's a gimmick and the outfit he made was not great bearing out the gimmick thing.

Ping - interesting potential, not sure she can "make it work." The girl that got kicked off should have for purely horrible construction - that dress was a sewing disaster and bad design, IMO.

The Lizard Dress was well made at least and simple - it's just so old in terms of ideas as Michael Kors said.

But really, can Michael Kors stop with the tanning booth already? Orange is in but not for skin.

Jan 18, 10 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

this is the first project runway season i haven't watched regularly .. is it any good this time? anyone doing amazing stuff?

Feb 19, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, I know we've been a bit dormant here but I need to speak up.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

~~~~~

-I think this season is SOOO MUCH BETTER than last season. I feel like the top 10 designers this season were all better or at least more inspired than even last season's winner, what's-her-name.

-Seth Aaron may be my favorite PR contestant of all time. I love his pieces, they are so interesting and structured, punky but yet feminine at the same time. I can't wait to see his runway show! Plus his family is freaking adorable. Go Seth Aaron!

-Emilio may be one of the most overrated finalists of all time. I agree that his winning pieces were good, and in most cases deserved to win. However, I think those were all contextual and based on the Bryant Park pieces he showed to Tim, I think he is going to BOMB. They look like HELL. I think that anyone who flat out ignores - even disses - Tim Gunn does so at their own peril.

-Mila and Jay - I liked both of their work. I haven't gotten to the end of the show yet so I don't know who will compete. But should be interesting!

-I love Anthony! I'm so happy he made it as far as he did but I do think he needs more time to mature.

Woo hoo! LOVE Project Runway... we'll pretend like Season 6 was an anomaly...

Apr 17, 10 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

i just watched the most recent show last night... i can't believe that mila beat jay!!!

Apr 18, 10 9:03 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Me neither. I thought they were going to make it like Season 3 (I think it was 3) where they had all four compete for the final. I mean, at least 10 of them had runway shows at Bryant Park anyway so it's not like they weren't available. I did think that both Mila and Jay had great stuff. Better than anything Emilio has done anyway....

Apr 18, 10 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
simples

this season has restored my faith on the show - i thought i was done after the last disaster of a season...really talented designers here, and i think Seth Aaron leads the pack...and although Emilio's might be overated, i think he is still 2nd best on the show...I think Jay would've been the third finalist, but if you watched the show from the begginning, Mila has been a jury favorite throughout the show...i think Heidi owns stock on Mila's company or something...i am just happy the quality is back...

Apr 20, 10 11:55 am  · 
 · 
oakley

I agree, I'm so much happier with the talent for this season and I really love the positive relationships that were built along the way (for the most part)

The exception on all counts for me is Mila, I think her work is completely 2D and boring. She has an adult contempo thing going on here and I think that's why Heidi and Nina pulled for her. They've liked her all along, and I just don't understand why. You could tell that Michael Kors was not pleased with the final decision. Jay's work was so much more youthful and original. but what can you do? Older rich women buy more fashion than most of the rest of the world. Give them their boring 2D stuff if they want to show their age.
In addition, I felt like Mila was really unfriendly and whiney through the whole thing...granted we see a very edited glimpse, but it stood out to me in contrast to a pretty friendly group of people.

I wonder if they just couldn't bring themselves to do an all-male final. I'm a woman and I would've welcomed an all-male final in this case. Go Seth and Emilio!!!

Apr 21, 10 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I just finally got to watch the last two episodes. I just want to say that I completely agree with everything DubK said about both Seth Aaron and Emilio. Emilio is so overrated! His stuff is bland and YESTERDAY. I could not figure out why he kept winning throughout the competition. I've only really liked one of his pieces (evening gown - and not the boring sequin one, either!).

Totally agree about Mila/Jay. Jay was stronger than Mila for sure - there were some awesome pieces in his Bryant Park collection!! Mila is SO DULL, I could perfectly predict everything she was going to do before she did it. She's another one of those women who only seem to be able to design for her own body type (stick thin and straight like a boy). Architect Laura was the most egregious example of this designer type. Interestingly, each of the men had outfits that could have been scaled to flatter different types of physiques. (I mean they had structure/design that could have worked on something other than a stick-straight person). Anyway... this season was much better than last and I can't wait till Seth Aaron gets his own label. He's probably the first contestant I've seen in a long time whose work I not only liked, but also wanted to wear for myself.

May 24, 10 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
project runway season 8

has begun ~ looks like a younger, more energetic group this time

and wthell with 'on the road with austin & santino'? two of my favorite previous project runway designers but come ON, santino! you're bald! what's with the toupee dealy-bop?!?

Aug 7, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

I'm totally disappointed with this season so far. They have transitioned from the best season the show has had to, arguably, the worst.

Its 30 minutes too long, and the judges have gotten way to full of themselves. The producers have over-worked the show and pulled it too far from its roots.

Tim's little desk crits are far more interesting then the runway show. He is dead on with his comments, but the judges fly in from left field with these snarky remarks ragging on the contestants after giving then only 5 hours to produce a garment. its like shooting fish in a barrel.

They need new judges, less over-dramatized filler, new judges, shorter time slot, and some new god-damn judges.

Just my opinion.

Aug 8, 10 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

I totally agree, iheartbooks. And...

<<<SPOILER ALERT!!!>>>>

...the woman who won both last week and this makes BORING clothing! Her stuff is so drab (black) and old-ladyish. God the season sucks so far.

Especially wish they would give more time for the challenges so the designers could spend more time creating and making better work.

Aug 8, 10 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Agreed.

Chick is lame. Her dress from week 1 looked like a ill-fitting figure-skater's outfit from 1983, but it was all black so the judges loved it.

Aug 8, 10 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Seriously, the girl with the red dress wuz ROBBED. ALSO - I remember liking the thing the Hawaiian guy made this week. And I don't think they should have kicked off the second guy this week, he was nowhere near as bad as the first guy. I really loved the front of his blouse, and it was pretty original.

Aug 9, 10 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah i don't get the second guy getting kicked off .. the guy with the clockwork orange hat, yes, but not the other guy. i thought peach was gone for sure why'd they keep her and not guy 2?

Aug 9, 10 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

Agree FRaC and manta. The second guy - Nicholas? - 's blouse front was gorgeous, only the back sucked. And Peach's dress was just bad.

Aug 9, 10 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

They kept Peach because she proved she can make clothes (3 iterations in the allotted time) now she just needs to make good clothes. I don't necessarily agree with that mind set, but she was not as bad as the other two.

I feel like I am watching a sophomore year architecture review where the class has been set up with a problem way over their heads just so the judges can tear into them to prove a point. Not good for TV, the show is about the DESIGNERS not the JUDGES, I want to see more studio time and much more of Tim.

Aug 9, 10 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Um, oh my god, I thought I was the only one who thought Gretchen's dress from the first challenge was awful! I was like, wha? She won? And I actually liked the cute little dress that the girl from Utah made... and then she proceeded to get sent home. Can you imagine?!? What the eff?

So I still don't have a TV or obviously, cable, so I've only been watching them on the internets. So they have expanded them to an hour and a half shows? I thought the extra was just on the internet? I was so confused, because I thought everything was dragging on.

I did like Gretchen's outfit from this week but her flipping mullet from the 80's drives me totally batty. Can someone please tell her to see a professional hairdresser for god's sakes?

And finally, I, too, would like to see new judges, but not before punching Nina Garcia and Michael Kors in the face. If they were my jurors on an architectural review I would go to town on how disrespectful they are.

Aug 9, 10 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

They're dragging out the "drama" but they don't seem to be showing us any more of the actual designing (you know, where the designers show their sketches and talk about concept) or the studio critique. So that's a bummer.

I actually don't mind Gretchen's stuff but it's not my fave fave. I agree with whoever said that it's exactly to the judges' taste, though... no surprises there.

I think there's some potentially interesting designers this season, however. I remember it took me awhile last season to realize the sheer genius of my guy Seth Aaron! mmm, seth aaron's clothes... Also I was so annoyed all of last season when bland Emilio kept pleasing the judges' aesthetic when his clothes were so dull and unoriginal. In judging they often seem to me to be moved by what already has been than by what could be (in other words, they are more interested in past "classic" designs than in the avant-garde).

Aug 10, 10 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

(Yes it's an hour and a half now, evidently. I had thought that was only for the first episode, given how much they need to show, and was surprised when last week's was 1.5 hours too.)

Aug 10, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
in other words, they are more interested in past "classic" designs than in the avant-garde

exactly! i keep waiting for someone to go all issey miyake on those judges but it rarely happens! christian siriano kind of did it at times but you rarely see real form-making that busts out other than following the body ..

it's probably because they do have so little time to really explore ideas/form/structure in a garment that has to be completed and sent down the runway in 12 hours (or so) start to finish. i don't know why they don't give the designers more time? is it because time is money? come ON!

Aug 10, 10 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Gretchen's looked like a Jersey stripper outfit (with my apologies to Jersey for using the entire state as a referent for tackiness).

I think the napkin dress should have won. And Heidi just reaffirms what a total bitch she is with that "That wasn't a compliment." comment.

Why do I watch this show? It makes me furious!

Aug 13, 10 10:00 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i liked andy's winning dress - nice texture with the braiding technique (which seems to be a good approach as past designers uli, santino, and some others have done similar things and either won or been near the top).

Aug 13, 10 11:21 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i forgot i was interested in this season because there's another contestant with an architecture background: nicholas d'aurizio

unfortunately as noted above he was outed in the second episode ..

you can check out his portfolio and see some plans/models and models. i like the pancake floor thing with the cylinders cut into it but the other stuff is just kind of blah

Aug 13, 10 11:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

This week's episode made me mad. I agree that Gretchen's outfit was stripper-y, and tacky, and I think Michael should have been in her place. I did think Andy deserved to win though. I love anything with that kind of texture.

I was actually pretty close to quitting... if they had given Gretchen the win again, I would not still be watching. I am not interested in watching Nina Garcia hump Gretchen's leg every week. I don't care if she's from my 'hood (Portland) she's an arrogant tw*t and she is now my PR Enemy #1 (although I do like her clothes better than my last season's Enemy #1, Emilio, who I still feel had no talent).

Finally, enough with the talking already. I actually think 1.5 hours may be too long. It's annoying.

Aug 17, 10 1:51 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

I'm on the brink of giving up on this season also. Its really a shame.

Aug 17, 10 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

OK I seriously think at the end of this season the producers are going to say "Hahaha, inspired by Sokal's Hoax, we decided to do an Opposite Season where the worst designs are lauded and the best celebrated!"

WTF. Valerie's dress was hideous and unflattering - unflattering on a MODEL! - and had nothing to do with the hat.

Aug 20, 10 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah - that was a good challenge (finally pushing the designers to explore form) but what the hell with those judges? you could tell that hat designer dude philip treacy was holding back especially when nina, michael, and heidi were fawning all over valerie's red dress/white bolero thing.

and that was a bummer when the lady with the orchid hat got stuck on it being an orchid. forget the orchid! look at the lines/form/space of the thing and design something!

Aug 20, 10 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Tonight's episode angered me so much. I don't remember seeing one sketch, we BARELY saw the clothes - all it was was bitchy manufactured fake personal drama. I don't give a shit who supposedly hates who. I just want to see the concepts executed in the designs. ARGH

The hat one was pretty good although I really didn't like Valerie's - for the first time. I agree with Donna - it made no sense and was unflattering to boot. But I liked the thought processes of each of them, at least - even the orchid girl - she was going on such an interesting thought with the sexiness, the unflowering, the peek-a-boo playfulness of sexuality... and then she totally didn't execute it. oh well.

Aug 26, 10 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Tonight's episode angered me so much. I don't remember seeing one sketch, we BARELY saw the clothes - all it was was bitchy manufactured fake personal drama. I don't give a shit who supposedly hates who. I just want to see the concepts executed in the designs. ARGH

The hat one was pretty good although I really didn't like Valerie's - for the first time. I agree with Donna - it made no sense and was unflattering to boot. But I liked the thought processes of each of them, at least - even the orchid girl - she was going on such an interesting thought with the sexiness, the unflowering, the peek-a-boo playfulness of sexuality... and then she totally didn't execute it. oh well.

Aug 26, 10 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

this last episode had me yelling; bitch, cunt, asshole, dickwad....i've been watching this show from jump street, and i've never seen anything like it, the 5 of those assholes needed to go after fucking over michael.

Aug 27, 10 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

beta, I couldn't agree more, although I have to say that I did think it was the most entertaining show of the season so far, and I LOVED seeing the Misfits do so well! And I just like how they supported each other and that allowed their creativity to flourish. Cassanova still annoys me but I am glad he pulled through this time.

Meanwhile, Team "Gretchen is a C*nt" was ruled by one person, and she kept her bitchy deputy, Ivy, around to enforce the rules for her. Chris ended up looking like a total sycophant, Andy has not a spine to stand up with in the face of such oppression, and AJ was waaay out of his league. And Michael! Poor Michael. I liked his dress last week and I hope he exacts his revenge on them soon. Talk about effed up team dynamics! I felt like I was watching an episode of Glenn Beck!

And in the end, who puts it all in perspective for us? Tim Gunn, that's who! We don't need to worry anything because Tim Gunn comes in at the end of the episode and sums up in two sentences what we've all been thinking the entire time: "why do you all let Gretchen manipulate you like that?" Eff yeah! Love Tim Gunn and his awesomeness!

I still want to stab Gretchen in the eye, though.

Aug 31, 10 1:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i was sitting there yelling at the tv, because i wanted to get in there and curse the crap out of them. tim was awesome at the end! gretch was all like; i am hurt by what tim said. boo-the-fuck-hoo, idiot!

Aug 31, 10 5:07 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I apologize for my earlier words, I realize these are real people, but very few real people make me want to stab them in the eye. I'm just saying. "boo-the-f*ck-hoo" is right.

Sep 1, 10 2:07 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Um, this season just got really interesting. I've never really liked Nina Garcia or Michael Kors that much but the judges are actually exacting JUSTICE on those group of b*tches, and I couldn't love it more. Why are they all so concerned about Michael C.'s work? Why aren't they concerned with their own work? It would be like if I ran around studio in architecture school complaining to our professors that so-and-so was getting better grades than me, and I stopped paying attention to what I was doing in the process. Maybe he doesn't have the best construction but guess what, it's not always about the construction!

Also in the previews for next week I love that somebody tries to throw him under the bus again and Heidi goes all crazy on their a$$es for it. What a bunch of sorry whiners.

Finally I wish there was a prize for least favorite designer because I would write in "EVERYBODY" (except for Peach).

Sep 4, 10 4:58 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Gretchen's outfit made her model look like a dinosaur, or like a homeless person. Her and ivy are acting like lunatics, and though I don't really like his work, i love to see gretchen and ivy freak out when MIke C wins. Design wise, i do like Christopher's work the best. Still way to much drama, too long, and not enough tim.

Sep 4, 10 8:44 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Are you fucking kidding me?! We still have a half hour left of this show and I'm so disgusted I don't even know if I want to watch the end. Gretchen, Michael C, and April are safe?!?! Michael C should be going home on this challenge, his dress was an ill-cut, boring piece of shit in a horrible color, and his outwear classed AWFULLY in both style AND color! I realize the TV set doesn't render color the same as reality, but heavens, there is no universe in which those two pieces looked good together. Gretchen's was old-lady-ish, totally frumpy and hung like dead meat on the model - I thought for sure she'd land in the bottom. There was nothing elegant or stylish about her piece. April's was just skin-tight black with little interest or elegance about it - it's one of the only things of hers I actually haven't liked. All three of these should have been in the bottom - and they're safe!!!

UGH.

Sep 16, 10 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

On the other hand, I really like Andy's personally (although I can tell the judges are going to hate it) and for once I really like Ivy's - and I think Mondo should win this challenge. I also - surprise! - liked Michael D's skirt! Not only liked it - but I would buy it. It was cute and flirty and I just like it. I hate his blouse though. Christopher better not go home on this challenge - I really like his work but this week is a missed target unfortunately. Valerie better not go home either.

Sep 16, 10 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
simples

nasty nasty critics - designs were also horrible - overall level of the show, in all aspects, compared to last season, has dropped immensely.

All 3 in the bottom this week were pretty good designers who just had a bad day. I'd say, cut the show back to 1 hour, cut the drama, and give those poor people actual time to design and craft something beautiful -

Sep 17, 10 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

Totally agree with your last paragraph simples. The short time allowed in most challenges really impedes their ability to design something well.

Luckily I don't really care about the show this season - it just doesn't interest me that much because I hate the in-fighting drama and I think the judges are living in Opposite World (though Mondo's really was fab last night - this may be the only winner I've agreed with all season.). Last night I had it on for company while paying bills and only half looked up during the runway show.

Sep 17, 10 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Although I've been thoroughly enjoying the judges' vengeance this season, I thought they went too far with the nastiness on this episode. Frankly I wasn't too impressed by anyone's look, but thankfully I do agree with the winner and the loser. I haven't really gotten a single look that Michael D. has done but this episode's look was a misfire.

I just love Mondo and I'm so glad he finally won. I don't necessarily agree with the statement that the level of the show has totally dropped, I just don't know that the challenges have been conducive to creating awesome fashion design. Besides, nothing can top the mediocrity of the Los Angeles season. I'm still shaking my head at that one...

Sep 18, 10 12:20 am  · 
 · 
'Maximus

I totally agree sameolddoctor, but don't you have to think that there is some sort of creative burnout that goes along with all of this? We look at it and say this and that about the designs but when it comes down to it, these guys are doing studio projects every flipping day and then at the end of the day, someone who they've bonded with has to go home. That's just a mindfuck.

I'm sorry. I could talk about this all day. I love to sew and wish I could sketch like them so I could try this too.

Sep 21, 10 3:18 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I've been trying to find out about the actual schedule of the show. They don't shoot every single day - in the TV world that would be impossible. I'm wondering if these challenges are weekly, or semi-weekly...? I wonder if anyone's talked about this in their interviews...

Sep 21, 10 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: