Archinect
anchor

Grad school now or later?

holeyman

I have been strugling with the decision to start my MArch this year (I have applied and been accepted) or to wait it out a year or two. The job market is very good and I could stay with my current employer for some time.

I've always heard it is best to go to school when the economy sours. My nightmare situation would be to enroll now and graduate in two years with loads of debt and no one hiring new employees.

I am curious if other people are dealing with the same issues and/or what people in the past have done and how it worked out.

Jul 12, 06 2:03 pm

now

Jul 12, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

no wait, later

Jul 12, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

enrollment numbers increase when the economy goes south. competition for those spots also increases.

...that's it. sorry i don't have anything more enilightened to say.

Jul 12, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

holeyman,
If you have your BArch, finish your IDP and start your exams. Esp. if the school will hold your place.
I waited 5 years, and took the exams, before I started applying to grad schools.
If you need the MArch for licensure, then I wouldn't wait too long.
I saw your earlier thread, which school did you choose?

Jul 12, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
ringlet

I am in the same boat-have been accepted, but have an opportunity for a good job-so I am defering for a year and going to work-that way I can come out of school debt free (I will make enough in a year to pay for school) and then I can take whatever job I want regardless of salary (I am also married-which helps). It was a hard decision, because I am transfering and already have one year of school down and love it, but the idea of being able to come out of school with absolutely no debt makes me feel so much better.

Jul 13, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
holeyman

I am married and have a mortgage as well, so I certainly don't want to take on too much debt. Irishtom makes a great point about finishing the IDP requirements before enrolling in an MArch program. I have a four-year environmental design degree; can I take the ARE exams right after finishing my Masters?

Jul 13, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
AP

you can start taking them once you're far enough into IDP, before starting your MArch (at least that's the case in Florida)...

Jul 13, 06 10:34 am  · 
 · 
sparch

iam on my 4th year. and i am debating too.

well, first i gotta take GRE, and make portfolio. and that's what's holding me.

right now, i work for a firm that pays little below average.

i am thinking... working two years before m.arch will pay you less money than when working two years after m.arch
so isn't it better to go to grad school as soon as possible?

Jul 13, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, I'd get it done asap if you want/need to go to grad school. That's what I did, but I think our class was about 50/50 going directly or waiting/working for a year.

Jul 14, 06 8:42 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

live life
do something crazy
grow up
figure out what makes you smile

then go to grad school

Jul 14, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

treekiller sums it up.

And now would be a bad time to leave an office, when there is so much work around. Get 2-3 projects finished with the office all the way to execution, then go to grad school.

Jul 14, 06 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: