Archinect
anchor

computer upgrade

morfo

I am considering an upgrade on my dell inspiron laptop. Currently I am running on 1.6GHz and 768MB RAM. I am trying to do some Rhino 3D modelling and rendering applications and my computer could not handle it. I am thinking up upgrading to 2GB RAM. Would this do it? What would you recommend? Any comment especially from experienced 3d modellers would be appreciated.

Jul 12, 06 1:37 am
trace™

depends.

The video card will be your largest limiting factor for modeling. I am guessing it's not that good if you didn't mention it.

Processor and RAM will determine the rendering speed. Processor looks ok, RAM not so good, but it depends on what type of rendering you are doing. If it's GI, forget it. 768 ain't enough (although I have used as little as 512 and seen stellar results from machines that low/old). GI eats RAM like mad - 2 gigs is good.

My advice would be that you'll probably just want a new machine. For about $1500 you could get a new, faster, overall better machine (maybe more if you get a very good graphic card).

Upgrading the RAM and video card will easily cost you half that, not to mention the hassle (I personally don't like hassles).

FYI, new chips are coming out in the weeks ahead, so you'll either get a super new chipset or a great deal on the older chips.

Hope that helps.

Jul 12, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: