Archinect
anchor

Articles regarding "projective" practice...

dphillips

Trying to locate the full text of 2 Articles:

--"Notes Around the Doppler Effect and Other Moods of Modernism" (Somol/Whiting)

--"Design Intelligence and the New Economy" (Speaks)

Anyone seen these posted online anywhere?
Anyone have the PDF's?

Much appreciated...

Perhaps this can also spur a discussion of the vaguely defined notion of "projective" practice... Any thoughts?

Jul 11, 06 11:12 pm
vado retro

post-critical, post-ideological, post-political, post-historical, post-urban,post-capitalist...sounds like just another day at the office...

Jul 11, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

That comment would have been more appropriate before Archinect became post-skeptical.

Jul 12, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Somol and Whiting's article is from an issue of Perspecta. If you check the MIT Press website, you can find out the issue number, and then go to your library, read it, etc. etc. The Michael Speaks article is probably an editorial from Architectural Record ... he is on editorial board of that magazine, and publishes some type of giddy, post-critical thing every couple of months.

Hope this helps.

Jul 12, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Actually, I have a copy of the Speaks article ... he talks about how practices like FOA, MVRDV, Crimson employ market strategies, etc, that make them competitive in the new economy.

Jul 12, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
dphillips

Thanks for the heads up (I looked up the Perspecta issue). I would love to get a copy of the Speaks article if you have it in digital form (PDF, DOC...).

Jul 12, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
dphillips

...My email is posted in my profile if you feel so inclined...

Jul 12, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

business employing market strategies. sheet. well what ll they think of next? t-shirts? nah...

Jul 12, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

is that burt reynolds?

Jul 13, 06 12:15 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

you can also look for the projective landscape conference online that happened a couple months ago. it was like an archi-theory playas ball. There are qt movies on line of all the lectures, red carpet entrances and pimp and ho of the year award presentations.

Jul 13, 06 4:08 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Projective Landscape

Jul 13, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

The Speaks article is from Arch Record, Aug 2002, but you can also find it in A+U, Dec 2002.
Here are some articles from HDM:

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/research/publications/hdm/back/21_baird.html

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/research/publications/hdm/back/22_OnTheory.html

You should also check out Log 5, the 'hijacked' issue edited by Somol & Whiting and Log 7, the response.

Jul 13, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Look dude, are you gonna read about doing stoopid architecture or are you gonna just do it?

just do it dude,

cuz you can.

Jul 14, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I love how smack in the middle of the Projective Landscape web site it says " I won't say much about it, just check out the pictures:"

then the pictures are all of them.

they could have at least had some diagrams of lilly pads or some shit.

Do you you think it's a test of how post-critical you can be. Like, "if you think this is absurd then you're being critical and that's sooooo not cool any more"

cuz they said,

cuz they can

Jul 14, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Sorry: the Speaks article is from Jan 2002, not Aug 2002.

Jul 14, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: