Archinect
anchor

just another selfish thread asking for advice on my vacation

stephanie

i could first make excuses about why i haven't participated much around these parts lately, but that mostly boring.

but, you see,
i'm going to th e United Kingdom for my first time ever in appx. one month, and have a limited amount of time and resources (read: money) what are the best cheap things for me to do in 10 days in the cities of Cardiff and London?!

advice?

BOTS? aren't you located in cardiff?

help?!!?!

xoxoxo,
stephanie

Jul 7, 06 6:02 pm
liberty bell

Sir John Soane's house is an absolute must.

Jul 7, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

indeed lb. a couple of my faves at the zoo:

the aviary by cedric price

penguin pool by berthold lubetkin

Jul 8, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

holy crap, stephanie. When are you going? I'm going in about a month too, also for 10 days. I'm doing London and Edinburgh, with a day trip to Stonehenge/Bath in there somewhere.

If we're there at the same time, we should hang out if possible. It's no fun seeing cool stuff all by myself (my friend will be working most of the time I'm there).

BTW, one of my favorite lesser known treasures in London is the Design Museum, which sits right on the Thames, I think on the South bank.

Jul 8, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
AP
Laban Centre

for Contemporary Dance - by HdeM, London

Jul 8, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Haha, AP, are you channeling Steven and I? We just showed that project to our students, when we did a collaborative project with the Dance department. We talked about the Laban Notation system, which is a way of "writing" a dance: movement, emotion, speed, etc. It's a cool idea (relevant to architecture as it produces essentially a set of CD's for a dance) and the building is gorgeous.

Jul 8, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Henry Moores Sculpture Studio North of London, is a must. You have to make reservations. You can take the train north as a day trip to the end of the line then you have to take a cab. The people are very
very helpful, and it is wonderful to see his works scattered around the property.

Jul 8, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
babs

The British Library at St. Pancras

The last time I was there, I was able to see original sheet music in the hand of both Mozart and John Lennon

Jul 8, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

If you're going to Cardiff check out the Cardiff Bay Area, home to the Welsh Millenium Centre (Capita Percy Thomas), Welsh Assembly Building (Richard Rogers) and Cardiff Bay Visitors Centre (Alsop + Stormer)

Jul 9, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

avoid the British Library - they probably won't let you in which is where the real beauty of the project is. I would opt for the Tate Modern - which is without equal.

Jul 9, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

1. HEAPS OF THANKS YOU GUYS! Moore's Studio, Laban Centre, the Zoo, and Design Museum all are great recommendations!

2. Emily!!! I will be there Aug. 2-11...I'm still not sure when i am going to be where, but should be straightening that out in the next week or so.

3. Soane's, and the Cardiff Bay area were all on my list. As was the Tate, and the Future City exhibit at the Barbican. I was wondering how worth it and/or easy it is to get to the Eden Project?

Also, is there some kind of good cheap unlimited (or good for 10 days) bus or train travel travel pass that I could get?

Jul 10, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: