Archinect
anchor

Revit - Chicago

beth99ny

Does anyone know which Chicago firms are using Revit?

Jul 6, 06 6:01 pm
Frit

I don't know if they are using it yet, but I'm pretty sure all of HOK's offices are slated to transition over at some point.

Jul 6, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

SOM

Jul 6, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
TED

please dont tell me that you would seek out a firm [for a position i assume] based upon them using revit! yuke.

Jul 6, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

if it's what they prefer, or might want to learn then let them, i'd prefer a mac based firm on vectorworks or archicad along with form z personally, but then i know microstation better on a pc

Jul 6, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I would absolutely choose a firm based upon them using BIM. (not necessarily just Revit) BIM is more than just a new piece of software, its a revolution in the building industry. If you’re not in on it you're definitely behind the curve. Common TED! Get with the program.

Jul 6, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Teng is starting to use it...

don't ask me where i get my insider info...

Jul 7, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I hear from reliable sources that SOM is starting to use it on a major project, but that everyone in that office hates using it!

Jul 7, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
jrios

I've been on Revit for over a year and a half, and it still surprises me how long some things take to do. At the end of the day, though, I still believe it is a revolution.

As far as I can tell, it is a technological revolution that will be led by the professional community, not the schools. This is unusual, given the trend in software in the past few years.

Maya, Rhino, etc are programs that you perfect in school and then unleash on a job market that has little comprehension (but much desire) for these skills. BIM is driven by architects' desire to make architecture easier. Sketchup only makes 3D simple and intuitive. Good BIM software makes the entire process of designing and documenting a building intuitive (if not yet simple).

I think it makes sense to research firms using Revit. I'm sure there are many corporate firms in the Chicago area that are at least considering the switch.

It is crazy... but in order to learn the cool software, you may have to go corporate.

Jul 7, 06 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Pete

I’ve been using revit for a year on school projects and have been hooked since. While most student spend hours drafting elevations and sections, I spend most of the time designing as my sections en elevations are automatically generated. Also I have been able to do multiple designs in a short period too. But the biggest asset of using bim for school purposes is that you learn to build a building. You don’t just draw lines; you build a building using building components. Some problems need to be addressed from the beginning, you can’t sugar coat it with lines as you would with autocad. One of the biggest complained from students that don’t want to use BIM software is because it doesn’t handle complex geometry well. I was a disbeliever at first too, but now my buildings have more double curves that the Maya, rhino driven students.

The reason why BIM is mostly used by corporate firms is because the boutiques firms are very influenced by image and what the starchitects use which is ridiculous. Here you have a small firm that uses Mac and VW but wouldn’t use archicad because archicad doesn’t look cool and VW is used by Daniel libeskind. This is the way some students make their choices of software too. If Gehry use it, then it must be good.

Jul 7, 06 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Jrocc

I thinks its a better determing factor than if they use Mac. BIM is the way of the future especialy for large scale projects, but it also makes small projects fairly simple.

Givin that BIM programs are still a developing thing they have thier quirks. Revit can get alot of major work done fast but then you will get hung up trying to fix little things, not unlike any 2d drafing program You also have to work smart. Not everything has to be in 3d or parametric. Sometimes lineowrk or a jpg will do.

Jul 7, 06 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
TED

hey brian, i know BIM very well -- i would choose a firm that avoids BIM and runs -- thats my program!

Jul 9, 06 7:17 am  · 
 · 
TED

fyi, skids has committed the practice to Revit for the future.

Jul 9, 06 7:19 am  · 
 · 
harold

"hey brian, i know BIM very well -- i would choose a firm that avoids BIM and runs -- thats my program!"

I know someone who said 8 years ago that he will avoid firms that design with 3d software. Look at him now.......

Jul 9, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
L.Keez.

DeStefano's transitioning. New projects will start up on RevIt.

Oct 24, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Frels - Worked on BIM over 4 years ago. Firm wide disaster. Takes way too long to do simple projects. You have detail everything anyways. That said Im starting another project in Revit soon. Maybe it will be better than desktop or archicad, but its still the same old promises.

Oct 24, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
some person

A few individuals at RTKL - Washington were using Revit when I interviewed there a year ago. Perhaps the Chicago office is also using it to some extent.

Oct 24, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
miss casual

lucien lagrange is starting to and i think perkins and will's office in the chi is on revit or transitioning at least

Oct 25, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: