Archinect
anchor

Calling Milwaukee

i know that there are few archinecters out there from milwaukee...

my parents are going to be moving soon and i'm hoping to be able to steer them towards living in a cool neighborhood... i think that they would probably prefer a single family house, but i'm also trying to find some condos/townhouses to show them online...

any ideas? any cool, walkable neighborhoods with shops and restaurants?

thanks...

Jul 6, 06 8:45 am
RKTechture

Check out www.jsonline.com, the local newspapers website. At the top of the homepage is a "Homes" section, which takes you to a page with a "Neighborhoods" area and an archive of neighborhood profiles. Check out in particular the Bayview, Brady Street Area, Brewer's Hill, Fifth Ward Lofts, Kinnickkinnic Ave, Riverwest, Upper East Side. These areas are all near the lakefront or downtown, but there are plenty of other interesting neighborhoods throughout the city. Hope this helps.

Jul 6, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
RKTechture

Try this link

http://www2.jsonline.com/homes/neighborhoods.asp

Jul 6, 06 10:31 am  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Yeah he listed all the best. Shorewood is also a cool place.

Jul 6, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

third ward and fifth ward are great urban neighborhoods, great arts community.

north of the city along the lake is second best in my opinion. older crowds and more open spaces.

Jul 6, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

If they want a single family house, I'd steer them to bayview. It's been the hot neighborhood for the last three years, but it really hasn't exploded yet from a development standpoint. Very few condos in this area as that seems to piss of the people who live there. Lots of restaurants, bookstores, cafes opening, but not great access to Groceries.

Riverwest is more gritty. Some condos coming up in this area, especially if you consider the Beerline development as part of Riverwest. You can erven get one of their new bluff homes. Sort of a single family house, with connected garages. Close to grocery stores, cool restaurants, and within walking distance of Brady St. & the East Side

Vetter Denk
The Edge

East Side is very tough to find a single family house that is overpriced. It has all the amenities. There are a few condos in this area too:

New Land Development

Downtown is dropping the high priced towers:

Kilbourn Tower
University Club Tower

Hope this helps.

Jul 6, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Good comments from those above.

Shorewood is quite possibly my most favorite place on earth. Home prices south of Capitol Drive are generally more affordable, but many are also smaller.

The upper east side around Newberry Boulevard is georgeous, especially if you're into Olmsted.

There are a lot of high end condos on Prospect Avenue with lake and city views.

My father grew up in the southern part of Riverwest - an area that has seen recent skyrocketing home prices fueled by the new developments that louismeier cited. I grew up in the northern part of Riverwest; I'm not sure if the market surge has made it that far yet, but there is, in my opinion, good investment potential there (but I'm an architect - what do I know about real estate investment?).

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Jul 6, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

The northern end of riverwest (from Center to Capitol) is seeing some development and is getting into the real estate game... slowly. Riverwesterners don't trust development, especially if there is any modern bent to it. A new Alterra Coffee shop on Locust and Humboldt will test this crowd and lead to more houses being bought and possibly more condos being built.

The Shorewood area around Capitol is nice, though tough to find a decent price on a house.

Jul 6, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I lived in Milwaukee for a few years, and my experience is that the cool parts of town aren't quite as cool as you might hope they are, but the bad parts of town are all a lot worse than you think they are...

Housing prices in Milwaukee are VERY reasonable, and even the "high-priced" east side is affordable compared to other more popular cities. The housing stock is just wonderful, and there are beautiful single-family homes on the east side and Brewer's Hill. Bay View is filled with well-kept bungalows and other frame houses. River West generally has bigger houses than Bay View, but your garage will be broken into with startling regularity.

Jul 6, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
RKTechture

Cuervo...
Congrats on the new job...hope all is well. Help me out on the MKE advice...

Jul 7, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: