Archinect
anchor

Fireworks

Share your stories regarding fireworks, independance celebrations and all 4th of July associated madness.

Mine:

We went downtown Jacksonville for the much reputed Freedom, Fanfare and Fireworks celebration...

Well, unfortunately, the local country music station was one of the sponsors...so after about an hour of blaring "save a horse, ride a cowboy," we departed for kinder pastures. A couple of miles down the St. John's River was a much calmer off-shoot of the F,F&F celebration. Cool. Community-lite.

We made our way throught the mini-festivities to the waterfront, climbed through some shrubs and found an intimate spot on the rocks, seperated from the crowd by some tall reeds and 4-5 ft of grade...

...great, community-lite, plus our own little nook...this oughtta be lovely...

...t-minus 3 minutes until 9pm fireworks off the bridges downtown, and a family-ette, including Mom and a couple 10 yr old boys (son and friend) find our hiding spot and sit right next to us.

*sigh*

some priceless quotes did come out of these young redneck kids, though...

"Momma, look at dem Roman candles right dere!"

"I'm an American!" (exclaimed numerous times in token redneck voices, during the playing of Proud to be an American, almost as if the 2 boys were competing with eachother to be more American)

"It's like if a army guy was stuck on an island, trying to call for help. Help! Shooting some red things in the sky..."
"I think they're called flares," mom chimes in...
"Ya, like flares!"
"YA!"
"I'm an American!"

Jul 5, 06 2:15 pm
AP
Jul 6, 06 9:37 am  · 
 · 

I was here

Jul 6, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Fireworks go off in my 'hood most nights between May and September. No, I don't mean gunshots.

Jul 6, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: