Archinect
anchor

Whats the best architectural magazine to...

Mc Taco

Subscribe to and doesnt cost a fortune...

Jul 3, 06 6:29 pm
Becker

don't buy magazines, they are useless after 1 read, buy books. read mags at your local store for free instead...

... but if i had to say, i'd go with OFX arch. its a spanish mag, but really good. also, see Domus, and Icon(used to be good, but maybe still has some fire)

Jul 3, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Detail is great but you pay for it. Very useful tho, not useless after one read, you can really keep them and use them as a ref for later work.

Jul 3, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

how about Dwell. the subscription is pretty resonable.

Jul 3, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

is Architectural Record any good?

Jul 3, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Hollenstein is right. Buy books. Magazines like to print flashy stuff that isn't always good architecture. For example Elle Design just printed a house Brad Pitt ERRRRRRR Gehry designed. Dwell however is pretty decent. I like the articles and discussions in the front of Record. Digest is crap.

Jul 3, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

I just something to get inspired by, maybe get some creative flows pumpin in my body lol

Jul 3, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

Okay...

Its either Dwell or Architectural Record...

others are welcomed aswell

I am all for getting books, but thats what I will use my school library for... :)

Jul 3, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

cvankle is right about detail. but it is more of a book than a magazine. i subscribe to it. it helps allot for work.

Jul 3, 06 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

"...just something to get inspired by, maybe get some creative flows pumpin in my body"

With this as your objective, Metropolis is the only way to go

Jul 3, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
morfo

maybe you would be interested in this thread also

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=40803_0_42_50_C

Jul 4, 06 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Archrecord is alright in my opinion because it covers a huge amount of projects and territory, and the discussions and crits are usually pretty good. It fails though on graphic design and depth. If your rich, I would subscribe to El Croquis.

Jul 4, 06 1:49 am  · 
 · 
Medit

The Architectural Review (UK)

do a search on "magazines" in the archives... there's already dozens of threads about arch mags

Jul 4, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

Apurimac.... talking about EL CROQUIS...first is as expensive as a book, second.... mmhh i dunno the other day looking for some kind of double skin facade details and after scanning like 20 CROQUIS i realized most of Croquis are built up from unbuilt projects, mmhh so i dunno if its like the best option for the prize... i dunno u dunno

Jul 4, 06 4:39 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

Sure you should buy magazines! (Just dont' get them from the same budget as the books. Get them from, say, the beer budget and the books from the gas budget!) I think el croquis is fantastic, but use the library for that, rather than the books. L'architecture d'aujourdhui has'nt been mentioned. Hunch is a magazine, ins't it?

Jul 4, 06 5:13 am  · 
 · 
matteo

Italian arch magazine:
Abitare
L'arca
Area
Interni
(Domus is pure crap, like 200 pages which half of that is advertaisment)

American arch magazine:
Architectural Records

UK arch magazine:
The Architectural Review

German arch magazine:
Detail

Jul 4, 06 5:30 am  · 
 · 
Ku

can you subscribe to detail in the US? how much does it cost?

Jul 4, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Ku,
You can subscribe Detail in the States. I've been subscribing since '97, and I can't remember exactly how much, but it's like $390 for two years subscription. They do have student discount, which is really cheaper than regular subscription.... you have to send a copy of your student ID and stuff.

Jul 4, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Jeez MADanito, i was just saying... Croquis is a superb magazine because , imo, it is so deep. Alot of architects have unbuilt projects, so, should a magazine not mention their unbuilt visions? This profession obsesses on the unbuilt. Just look at what Voisin did to public housing and urban planning in the late 20th century. Croquis is massively expensive, but IMO, it is the best periodical out there.

Jul 4, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Like $400 for 5 issues. Sheesh. That's AIA expensive.

Jul 4, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

it settled then. detail and el croquis are the best magazines...

.... they are also the most like books...

.... winner on the day ...books.

Jul 4, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

...it's funny how everyone missed the second part of Mc Taco's question.

he said DOESN'T COST A FORTUNE!!!

Jul 4, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

All the magazine in my list runs from 7 to 12 euro/issue.
Detail is a little more expensive.

Every El Croquis issue runs from 70 to 90 euro.
I don't know what a foryune is for you, but 70 euro is a fortune for me.

Jul 4, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

quality over quantity

Jul 5, 06 2:39 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

yeah, we shouldn't VE this thing, otherwise we'll all get either Architectural Digest or Dwell.

Jul 5, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

So since Detail is mainly in German how good are the summaries in english?

Jul 5, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Very good.

Jul 5, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: