Archinect
anchor

what other fields

binary

what other fields do you think you can embark into with a 5year b.a. arch?....

exhibit design
movies?

just asking since i might make a career change soon

b

Jul 3, 06 12:10 am
Medusa

panhandling

Jul 3, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
Becker

fashion, graphic design, computer game design, animation, philosophy, author, poet, engineer... but most likely is cad monkey.

good luck. set design is pretty cool.

Jul 3, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
dia

you can do anything. You just have to realise that you have to be able to convince people that you can do anything. I find that alot of people pigeon hole you into a certain field - thinking that in architecture school you learn about construction and bathroom details. yeah right..

generally, I am moving towards the more general entrepreneurial field, rather than a more closely related design field such as those listed above. might be different...

Jul 3, 06 1:17 am  · 
 · 
binary

i'm looking into exhibit design now but they try to pigeon hole also... i've been on about 8-10 interviews a few years ago and they wouldnt even give me a chance since i didnt have an industrial design degree......

i've been self employed for 6 years and it's rough when you are just a one man army....

i guess it's all about networking and doing a bunch of bullshit design work.... window details/etc.... i can understand as interns, you need to learn the process but if a person is really creative, then why keep them in the same cage as the those that just work in architecture and don't care about design......

there's a few things that i could venture into but it's a matter of timing and money i guess.... at the moment i'm trying to sell a penny for a dollar and it's not working ...might have to go back to the theory of making a dollar out of fifteen cents.

b

Jul 3, 06 1:29 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

237am.com, you might want to check out lexington scenery in LA, and they actually might be hiring now too.

Jul 3, 06 3:21 am  · 
 · 
nilla

I my self am thinking about a shift into graphic design. it seems to be a logical move b/c of all the presentation boards, books and other material that I had to put together through school and it still keeps my mind moving with ideas.

Jul 3, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 

"and it still keeps my mind moving with ideas." That's exactly it for me, too. I'm taking a night class in graphic design right now, and it's the clear highlight of my week. I get more ideas than I can really handle for each assignment, whereas I'm at a point with architecture where I'm bloody bored.

I figure that as the bachelor's degree becomes more common, the master's degree will eventually become necessary to differentiate oneself. So it's a viable option to go back for a masters in one of these fields in order to re-direct your career. Not necessary for everyone, but not a bad thing either.

Jul 3, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
snooker

You can become a builder, just don't tell anyone you have a B.A. in Architecture.

Jul 3, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

nah, they're ok with that. They just start making lame jokes about, "Oh, so you switched over to the dark side, eh?" and make sure to rant about how stupid architects are in front of you. But they're trying to be funny, not mean.

Jul 3, 06 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Metaphoracle

I'm thinking video game design, from theming to concept to environmental design, would be cool.

Jul 3, 06 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
e909

I've read of a noticeable % of game set designers are arch grads.
Else, cabinets, furniture, or "industrial" (product) design seem occasional later careers for ex-archs

Jul 4, 06 2:53 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

movie star ( like Brad Pitt )

Jul 4, 06 3:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: