Archinect
anchor

columbia vs. laptop bags

maya mcdifference

now that i got a laptop, i need a decent looking laptop bag! any suggestions? or, should i go to columbia?

maybe i'll do both.

Jun 16, 06 7:14 pm
A Center for Ants?

i like chrome and timbuk2...

[urlhttp://www.acmemade.com]acme[/url] makes some nice looking stuff for girls.

Jun 16, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

crap!! acme

Jun 16, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
tworings
Tom Bihn

a little pricey, but very well made.

Jun 16, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
erasmus

I prefer hello kitty, superman, and britney spears myself, but if you are going to columbia (assuming you can afford it after the bag) you might want to get yourself something a little more neutral. I hear black is in right now.

general questions:
style? (backpack, messanger bag, or something else)
material preference?
color?
function or form?

Just to clarify, hello kitty, superman, and britney spears are not my preferences. Normaly I would not have to say this, but this is archinect and people can't take a joke.

Jun 16, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

messenger bag in neutral color with some cool detail or accent color. hello kitty is so 1999.

nice suggestions, acfa.

Jun 16, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson
jack spade

really nice, but $

or

my more utilitarian sack...

manhattanportage

Jun 16, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

hahaha shaybug you need mine... black manhattan portage msgr bag with bright red logo..... so hot right now

Jun 16, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

actually i already own a small black manhattan portage messenger bag...not big enough for a laptop.

if i am moving to manhattan, how cool would it be to own a manhattan portage bag? wouldn't i look like a tourist?

Jun 16, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

I second the Jack Spade if you're going to use it for other things, but they may not be the best option just because of the lack of padding.

Please do not get another messenger bag with that red logo.

Jun 16, 06 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

jack spade does seem pretty pricey, especially since i'll probably keep it in studio most of the time. i read a really good review about the tom bihn ones.

thanks for the links.

Jun 17, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I thought Manhattan Portage was cool in 1997.

Chrome is respected among the messenger community, and Timbuk2 do good PDA holders.

The bag of choice at present is Pac, who in turn recommend the Trom Bihn's laptop insert...

Jun 17, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Kenneth Cole

it's not trendy, however...

Jun 17, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

this

Jack Spade bag is pretty sweet too...but almost twice as much...

Jun 17, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

shit!. you're telling me I'm 9 years behind in bag fashion?!

re: jack spade & padding. Their laptop bag (can't remember the model name) comes with a removable padded laptop sleeve/insert.

Jun 18, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Pete,
kinda... Manhattan Portage was so now then. It must be a bit then, now. The Jack Spade looks slickslickslick.

Jun 18, 06 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

hold on to your manhattan portage bag. it will become "retro" ~3 years from now and therefore become the new slick.

Jun 18, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

I need one ... are there any that don't look so metrosexual?

Jun 19, 06 8:42 am  · 
 · 

I got a free bag from a conference - it just fits my 17"HP and the shoulders are padded - works for now since my laptop mostly sits on the bed at home.

Jun 19, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Cure

i just use my old beat up and sown up backpack. going cheap cuz of tuition

Jun 19, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam
STM

out of Australia has some pretty awesome bags - both messenger and backpack - that are made for carrying laptops. I picked up the 17" Loop backpack a few weeks ago and the thing is built like a tank - lots of padding, waterproof zipper for the laptop compartment, a grommet to run your headphone wire through, etc. Also of note is WaterField whom makes some really nice hand-made bags...kinda pricey, though.

Jun 20, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

DIY Baby

+

+

Jun 20, 06 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

I've been wanting to get one of these and rivet pannier hooks onto it so I can put it on the rack of my bike:

My girlfriend uses a large daypack made for carrying a camel-back along with a zipped neoprene sleeve to tote her 15" MacBook Pro. That works pretty well.

Jun 21, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

Best quality bags ever, with optional straps and piggybacks. very very well made, thin & slick.

Jun 21, 06 3:06 am  · 
 · 
tyrrhena
baggallini
Jun 22, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

for features and build quality these are really good but pricey:

http://www.booqbags.com/index.html

I love the JackSpade black Leather messenger bag: anyone else know of similar trendy leather bags (preferably black)... money no object.

Something that this man would carry around with him:

Jun 29, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

or this guy (separated at birth?)

Jun 29, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm
http://www.techeblog.com/?p=683&cp=10

hmmm silence of the lambs anyone?

Jun 29, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

would be great to show up every day smelling like formaldehyde!

Jul 1, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I got a WaterField bag for my new laptop and it is wonderful. The inner sleeve fits like a glove. It's not too bulky, either. Holds everything you would want to hold with a sleek style. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Jul 4, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: