Archinect
anchor

Revit

kwarch

Do any / many use Revit software?
What are it's pros & cons?
How is it for models? for CDs? As a design tool?
What's the learning curve?
Other?
thanks

Jun 16, 06 11:43 am
morfo

Which city you are located at?
Check out autodesk's new seminar series.
http://www.adskhost.net/39704/index.php?nav=b06&src=mbbsdarchdm&div=BSD&cc=DM&lang=
I just went to the on in SF. I have never used Revit before but heard about it. It seems to be that it's a very powerful tool, especially for doing small to medium size projects.

Jun 16, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
kwarch

thanks yiyi.
planning to attend a revit intro session in july.
"small to medium size projects" has been viewed a concern/limitation.

Jun 16, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
modo

Does anyone think Revit will eventually run on the MAC?

I think the ultimate platform is Apple OS on a a MAC running Revit.

We've been using Revit on a Windows platform for about a year now doing some pretty meaty projects. I am completely convinced this is so much more powerful than Autocad or Microstation. However, I just like the Apple OS so much better.

Jul 20, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

Not sure what's happening in other areas, but D/FW has Revit MANIA. People are learning Revit (my firm is giving in-house training) and then being stolen away by other firms. Add that to the general hiring frenzy already taking place, and it's pretty clear that I missed the D/FW architecture sweet spot by about 2.5 years.

Jul 20, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
bRink

for a smaller project revit is awesome for cranking stuff out and being able to make changes... communicate it, get the drawings out

Jul 21, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
bRink

on a side note, i dont think autodesk will ever do the autocad kill, but i think it could very soon become integrated and secondary to revit... used primarily for drafting out details, in "drafting views"

Jul 21, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
allcaps

OldFogey -- Revit exports easily to max with mental ray which can now render over multiple processors straight out of the box. I'm sure you know this, that's why you are asking for it in one package. I agree it would be cool.

One thing I've found is that a Revit model is 10X easier to manipulate in MAX than any other type of file because you can select by the name of each item/object. Not a semi-arbitrary layername. This makes manipulation really simple.

Glad to hear there is work in D/FW

Jul 21, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
modo

Is there a Mac version?

mechanic...what do you mean the hardware is too expensive for a firm? We are running multiple PC stations with Revit. These stations were running Autocad earlier this year. no big deal. Practical use of Revit is here.

Jul 21, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 
harold

You can run revit on a mac

Jul 21, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
modo

Sweet

Jul 21, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
J3

We had training, started some projects and then crashed and burned.
We are currently doing highly detailed, very fast paced interiors' projects and just could not deal with the learning curve as it related to budgets/deadlines. With that said, some of our other offices (Bmore, DFW, LA, DC...) have done very large projects with Revit very successfully. Part of the issue (I hear) is Hardware. Sometimes "Saving to central" would take hours + detailed models would crash machines (P3.4G/2g RAm/128m video-std machines)
We have a corp. mandate that all new projects will be done in revit...so we hired a person, who all they have been doing for 6 months is building our library (everything you can possibly think of)

Jul 21, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

we have the "directive" that all new projects will be done in Revit as well.
it seems like people here in Orlando are starting to make the jump.
we had one team work on one project all the way through. 3 people then I became the 4th about halfway through CD's.
now we have two projects going in Revit after that first one.
supposedly our Salt Lake office is fully Revit. projects in Dallas and Richmond are also in Revit.
at least that is what they tell me.
saving to central can be tedious w/o the right equippment...

Jul 23, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
jthompson

It seems like, although Revit isn't a perfect package, it is the best all-inclusive package. And it's getting better in terms of compatibility (i.e. SketchUp import/export capability). It's good for schematic, it's good for CDs, it's not so good for rendering. But it has everything there, especially AutoCAD and SketchUp capabilities.

Some might argue that it takes longer to learn than programs like SketchUp because it's more complex. But the complexity comes with the fact that it's a BIM program. Later on in a project, what you thought was complex will save you lots of time and energy (or manpower).

In my opinion, if you want to learn Revit, you mainly need willingness and enthusiasm. Also, it helps to have a mentor handy to support you when you get frustrated.

I've been using Revit for almost 5 years now, during which I've been able to watch as the baby-boomer generation comes around to its possibilities. As long as you are progressive and open in your thinking of where architecture is going, you probably will accept the fact that although Revit isn't perfect, it is as close to the inevitable as you can get at this point. You can't fight the current--you can only ride the wave and let it take you where you want to go.

Jul 25, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Jrocc

If your using or intrested in using revit or already using it make sure to head over to AUGI and check out the revit forums, definately one of the best sourced for revit knoowledge out there.

Jul 25, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
underage rage

we have been using revit in our firm for about 5or 6 years now we were the first in our country to adopt it and apart from the expected hassle of having to learn a new program it's become a very efficient way of working.

it's good for quickly modelling different options in 3d for concept design and also for co-ordinating the project as a whole in construction documentation. but still it has it's disadvantages in that modelling more detailed and complex designs becomes more difficult than a pure geometry modeller for those who are not very experienced in the program. also the co-ordination between the 3d and 2d information can become very difficult to manage on complex designs

Jul 26, 06 3:41 am  · 
 · 
newc

Please pardon any ingnorant or technological "behind the times" statements made here in this post/question.
Our firm is a very busy, set in thier ways mountain firm whose bread and butter are very cut up, complex 5,000-10,000 square foot residences (we like to call them dinosaurs). We, as in the younger crew here, want to leave behind the cad system we are using (embarassed to mention the name here) and move forward with a program that will give us excellent cd production along with 3d output for our visually challanged clients. Is revit this software or is desktop the practical solution. We sat in on a web conference last week on revit, but were left in confusion becuase they mainly were selling it for huge commercial projects. It seems like a great program for scheduling and coordinating a major project like a school or hospital, but what is the practicality for a small custom home.
For example, what is the point of using the scheduling features on windows when you can spec a certain company, but that is all arbitrary when that decision is budget based and five different companies are bidding the job and who knows what compny will be awarded the contract. maybe that's a poor example, but can anyone shed some light on the use of revit for custom homes or sugggest another program.
Thanks!

Jul 26, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: