Archinect
anchor

Hardware Fetish?

Here's an interesting article that shows a $130 processor (overclocked) beat the fastest Pentium Extreme and AMD 64-FX chips in a host of benchmarks, including 3-D rendering... Hope you haven't coughed up $1200 yet.

link

Jun 15, 06 11:09 am
trace™

but if you overclock the others, surely they'll blow it away, right?

seems like comparing a super-duper twin turbo mustang V-8 from 5 years ago to a new stock one built now. Of course the old one pumped up will out perform the new one.

also, looking further into that analogy, longevity is significantly diminished in both the processor and engine. It'll rock your world for a short time, but don't expect support or reliability.

i suppose, though, that if you love tinkering with your machine then overclocking can get you some great performance cheaply.

Jun 15, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

i saw this a while back,

it's actually pretty amazing. and overclocking this much i unique to this processor. it does require an advanced cooling system to max it out. if i had the need, time, or money, i'd definetly try it out. i've read that intel deliberately let this happen to get some attention from the "overclocking community". it's kinda neat to see how chip manufacturers are so often willing to put restraints on their product in order to differentiated product line. trace, you're analogy doens't really work in this situation. it's more like the restricter plates on nascar cars. the engines are deliberately held back. these processors are very similar to the companie's more advanced ones, and then restricted to lower performance to fit a market segment. yes, the wattage of this processor overclocked to its max (4.1 ghz) could hurts its longevity, it can be overclocked at intermediate speeds and run at a reasonable temperature.

Jun 15, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i thought this was about door hardware

i certainly have a door hardware fetish

Jun 15, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

colcol - you are probably correct. I am sure Intel errs on the side of caution, to save them cash on warranties.

I know there are some gaming companies that overclock their machines and warranty them, some even overclock the graphic processor.

Still, I wish there was a happy medium between the hardcore enthusiasts that love to play with the inner workings and the don't-want-to-EVER-open-the-case folk like me.

Jun 15, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

one of my in-laws dumped an old computer in a big vat of vegetable oil, still works, he just had to tape up the hard drive to keep the oil from gumming up the spinning disk. The benefits? Overclocked and totally silent.

I'm not going to try this anytime soon but it's an intriguing proposal.

Jun 16, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: