Archinect
anchor

Speaking of idiots.....

WonderK

Roethlisberger wrecks motorcycle, wasn't wearing helmet

One Super Bowl Champion quarterback on motorcycle + car = head injury

As a Bengals fan, I just want to say that this very well might be Karma biting him on the ass. I mean I don't want the guy to die but perhaps a good smack in the head (so to speak) is what he needs. Want to play? Wear a helmet, jackass!

Jun 12, 06 2:47 pm

who dey!

Jun 12, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Pennsylvania actually had a mandatory helmet law for 35 yrs. until it was "modified" in 2003 to say that if you are 21 yrs of age, have had a motorcycle license for two years, and pass a safety course, you may choose to not wear a helmet. Biker groups had been lobbying to repeal the law for years and even cast the issue in terms of "freedom of choice."

Jun 12, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why do i have to wear a seatbelt or get a ticket, while someone else can ride a motorcycle without a helmet. duh...i'm sure he just f'd up his contract, which i am sure has some sort of no motorcycle clause in it. and if it doesnt well, way to go stealers.

Jun 12, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Doctors I know call them "donor-cycles". Appropriate, I think.

Jun 12, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

in seattle, everone in a car, including all back seat passengers, must wear seat beats. if you are over, i believe 18, and you get caught, the ticket goes to you and not the driver.

bicyclist must also wear helmets too. although i wonder if it is ever enforced. i have a friend who rarely ever wears a bike helmet. one day he was going on a ride. pushed his bike out, and shut the door. he then realized his helmet was hanging from the handle bars. rather than open the door and put the helmet inside, he decided it was easier to put it on. he rode about 5 blocks from his house and got hit by a woman driving a car and talking on a cell phone. he ended up in the hospital for a week and a rehab center for 2 months. they said that if he had not been wearing a helmet, he would have probably died or had no brain functions.

Jun 12, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

motorcyclists should have the choice as to whether or not they want to wear a helmet. it's a free country after all...

...but choosing not to wear a motorcycle helmet should automatically exclude one from any health care covered by taxpayer dollars or invalidate their insurance policy.

Jun 12, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've been lobbying for several years now in michigan to get a law passed requiring all automobile passengers to wear helmets. i'm having some success with my contacts at insurance companies and once i get their lobbying efforts on the same page as me i think the legislators will start pay attention.

i also feel that anybody going out for a night of drinking should wear a helmet. i used to jokingly sport a mid-1970s yellow ski-doo snowmobile helmet (with visor) when hitting some of the locals bars...you know just for laughs, but in retrospect it was probably one of the smarter things i ever did. i should pick up the habit again so that maybe i'd feel less hungover in the morning. like today...damn, my head was aching for a while.

be safe everybody.

Jun 12, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Well, at least he's already got his superbowl ring. Cause that's probably the only one he's ever going to get after this awesome display of stupidity.

Jun 12, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am wearing a helmet right now. and a cup!!! work can be very very hazard forming.

Jun 12, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I always wear a helmet while sitting on the toilet! Who knows what can happen when your in that position.

Jun 12, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Oh ya and I never ever light matches in the bathroom.

Jun 12, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about the Yale Blows thread?

Jun 12, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, technically I left it open to talk about any idiots that come to mind. Big Ben just happened to be a good starting point.

Jun 12, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

No Liberty , a thread related to 'Yale blows' would be

'The Kindergarten Wars'
The saga continues

Jun 13, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

woaahh ... i thought it would be about the yale blows thread as well ...

darn .. it would have made a good thread

Jun 13, 06 4:09 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

maybe a "yale blows blows" thread is in order

Jun 13, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what's the matter with you people? yale does not blow.

Jun 13, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

yale blows aka the kindergartner chats...

Jun 13, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

the attention whore monologues

Jun 13, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'm helping a friend design a house for a burn victim - she was indeed sitting on her toilet and lit a cigarette with disastrous consequences. The methane however came from a the utility crew doing work out in the street, not from her digestive processes.
i'm not joking.

Jun 13, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

lol broccolijet!

Jun 13, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

el jeffe, that is such a sad story. can i ask what in particular the design will do to suit her needs? is it accessability or something else?

Jun 13, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

she has limited mobility (can't sit - just lay down or stand/lean) and pretty severe environmental illness. So we're designing a series of pavilions along a gallery and giving each pavilion a particular functional grouping - ie. master bedroom, studio, kitchen/dining, guest and daily service/garage. The gallery space is pretty articulated with what are conceived as cabinetry pockets - allowing her to stop and work at whatever area suits her at the time. The cabinetry will be heavily based upon her reach limitations.
The site is amazing, up on a promontory overlooking the galisteo basin in santa fe. I should post a site picture.
Regarding the EI, the spaces that she will spend her time in will be e-crete with plaster and the HVAC system will have some pretty tight filtering.
I'm actually heading up there in a few hours to meet the client for the first time.

Jun 13, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

(last of the thread-jacking - sorry dubK)

Jun 13, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

awwww....I'm hurt ;-)

Jun 13, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

el jeffe, that's fine, I don't mind. I was seriously trying to figure out what a methane explosion had to do with a meathead quarterback though, until I scrolled up and saw snooker's post.

Any other stupid people to talk about today?

Jun 13, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

hope this works....

Jun 13, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

had to captcha that moment.

Jun 13, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i went to high school with a guy who blew his hand off sawing a pipe bomb in two. i dont know if he went to yale or not...

Jun 13, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

...and almost every injury was to his head.

"Doctors confirmed his injuries: fractures to his upper and lower jaws; a mild concussion; a fractured nose; fractured facial bones; multiple head lacerations; multiple abrasions; two lost teeth; and several chipped teeth."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/sports/football/13cndsteelers.html

Jun 13, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

awwwwww.....;-)

poor el jeffe

Jun 13, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

So a new young guy started at my firm last week. He's earnest, talkative, and doesn't really know a lot. I've given him a nickname, Beefcake, which hopefully explicates things a bit for you all. He's certainly solidly built but he has no hair on his arms. Bizarre.

Anyway, I ate lunch with the boys today which meant that, while I was amused, I also had to eat silently and not talk about anything important. Enter Beefcake, who just can't help himself. He starts talking about how working in construction was great (this explains the shape of the arms, but not the hairlessness), but with us he works at a desk 8 hours a day and he struggles to stay awake, and is exhausted when he gets home. He also expresses dismay over using his "nice clothes" 5 days a week so he had to wear a t-shirt out on Saturday night. (oh the horror!) I should mention he's on summer break from a two-year program so he's a young CAD tech, which is certainly draining, but still.....

The best part of the conversation is when he goes, "so you guys have portfolios and stuff?" and all 7 of us go, "uh, yeah"......he says "so how do you get those? Do you have to have them?" And we're dying laughing by this time. One of the guys mentions that no one really tells us but it's implied, and we just do it. So I offer to bring mine in to show him what one looks like, and he says "no, i'm sure it's really good, don't worry about it". Hee-larious. You probably had to be there but it made me giggle anyway.

Jun 13, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

hey who called parallel38 here ?

Jun 14, 06 1:50 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

....and another thing.

Did you know the House of Representatives has a 98% incumbancy rate? Like the most disgusting people in the entire country, this worthless sorry bunch of bottom suckers that just gave themselves a $3300 raise for wasting our money, they have less turnover than a typical firm. And they already made about 4x as much as we do anyway.

Sorry I'm really annoyed.

Jun 20, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
WTF

I mean, really.

Jul 19, 06 12:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WTF indeed. Good lord. I have a really good attitude about men's appropriate behavior in the workplace, but every now and then some neanderthal comes along and reminds me some guys still don't have a frickin' clue. In this case the neanderthal happens to be president of the United States. Embarassing and apalling.

Jul 19, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

he was just trying to relieve her stress over the whole nazi thing.

Jul 19, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

"wants some wood?"

Jul 19, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

WOW. just wow.

Jul 19, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
e

could it actually be that bush is dumber than i ever thought?

Jul 19, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

G8 Summit Schedule for Thursday:

11:00 AM - North Korea

12:00 Noon - Lunch

1:00 PM - Sexual Harassment Seminar

3:00 PM - Israel

Jul 19, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
e909
could it actually be that bush is dumber than i ever thought?

you guys are obsessed with yale

Jul 21, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
e909
anybody going out for a night of drinking should wear a helmet. i used to jokingly sport a mid-1970s yellow ski-doo snowmobile helmet (with visor) when hitting some of the locals bars...you know just for laughs, but in retrospect it was probably one of the smarter things i ever did.

forces them to stall a minute or two while trying to figure out where else to punch you? :-)

Jul 21, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

she does look like laura from behind...

Jul 21, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
e909

language differences, body language, something was lost in translation (translation to bushese)

Jul 21, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-1342132664644484246"> </embed>

laziness?
senility?
or strategy?

Jul 21, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

e909,

the helmet wasn't so much for fights (although that's always a possibility when your hometown invented the "toughman contest" because of the local brawling bar scene) but more as a precautionary measure against drinking too much, passing out & hitting my head against something like a bar stool or telephone pole.

my memory of those days is obivously fuzzy, but i'm certain the helmet saved me a few nasty goose-egg bumps on the old noggin.

Jul 21, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: