Archinect
anchor

A perspective desert tourist

SuperBeatledud

Hello all!

First off, I'd like to apologize for my hiatus from archinect. This quarter of school's been rather hectic, and while that may not be an excuse, it's kept me from browsing most all forums.

Secondly, I'm taking a little trip. Immediately after my last final in a week, I'll be heading from tropical Cincinnati, OH and visiting the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, AZ). I'll be there for about a week in mid July before returning to my co-op in DC. So for the 5 or 6 days that I'm there, what MUST I see? I already have planned a road trip to go see Arcosanti, and I also plan on seeing Taliesin in Scottsdale. I also believe Ando has at least one building in Phoenix. If anyone has any other MUST SEE suggestions, please post them here.

Keep in mind that the primary reason for my trip is to visit a friend of mine who isn't an architect (ergo won't be interested in spending all his time site seeing architecture) and is my only means of transportation (keep suggestions within the Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe area). Thanks!

May 28, 06 6:05 pm
swisscardlite

ANDO HAS A BUILDING in PHOENIX? WHERE? i live in scottsdale but I never knew there was such building.

arcosanti and Taliesin are good. the phoenix central library by will bruder is quite nice too.

i think the best thing you can enjoy here in the desert that you won't get anywhere else is really, the desert itself. enjoy the desert environment, the sunset, the blue skies. There's an old town scottsdale that's pretty interesting i guess, if you're a tourist. a lot of art-ish things in that area. scottsdale is mainly residential and has some malls. tempe has ASU and is more metro. Phoenix..is big.

enjoy arizona. wear sun tan =)

May 28, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

lotion.

May 28, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sbd- say hello to my mother who lives in mesa. i enjoyed williams/tsien museum and bruder's library. also predocks work on campus. how'd yer project turnout???

May 29, 06 9:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Remember how I told you there was already a thread on this topic? And you might want to look it up if you want the same information? It's got some good stuff on it. I think that was my first entry on Archinect ever, too.

Also, what's "a perspective desert tourist"? Do you mean "prospective"? Just curious.

May 29, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe he meant prospector desert tourist???

May 29, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

WonderK-

First, I don't remember you telling me this.
Second, it's a play on words.

Vado-

The project is driving me nuts (spending two quarters building a spa in shaker town is too much i tell you!). Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the week, I'll post pictures if I'm not embarassed of the results. Thanks for the suggestions of things to check out! :)

May 29, 06 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SBD: I have to say, the "perspective" threw me.

If you don't have time for a lot of architouring, I'd say make the Bruder Library #1 on your list. Taliesin West is of course a must-see but it's been well-documented etc., if your friend can't bear the thought of yet another trip there with yet another tourist friend - skip it. Sacriligeous, perhaps, but I lived 6 miles away from it for 18 years and never managed to go. Finally saw it as a tourist ten years after finishing arch school ha!

So yeah - Bruder library first. Also, Bruder's Scotttsdale Museum of Contemporary Art is great and intimate - museum building formerly a theater, I saw lots of movies there as a teen. Used to be a headbanger record store around the corner but then that was a long time ago, I doubt it's still there.

I managed to find the Wendell Burnette house on Google Earth but can't figure out how to post that info here? It's on roughly 17th Street between Cinnabar and Mountain View. It's actually quite cool and interesting to see in its bland suburban context. If you are ready to pass out from the heat and relish the thought of sitting in an air-conditioned car for awhile, drive past it - the views from the foothills up there can be quite nice too.

Someone on the other thread DubK linked to mentioned a hike I didn't recognize. I'd suggest the former Squaw Peak trail - now called "Piestawa Peak" as squaw is a derogatory word. Get up before the crack of dawn to do this hike, as it will be hot, and bring lots of water. It's an easy hike until the last approx. quarter mile/150 vertical feet, but you can do it. And the 360 d. views are worth it.

And when I say hot: yeah. This Thursday they are predicting 107. By July it will easily break 100 every day, maybe even get above 110! There is a noticeable difference between 100 and 110, believe me - highest I ever experienced there was 119, they couldn't let planes land because the asphalt runways were melting. Ahh, good times. Just drink water constantly!

May 29, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh ps I don't think there is an Ando building in the Phoenix area. If there is, someone please post.

May 29, 06 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Thanks for the post. I guess there isn't an Ando building in PHX, I could have sworn being told about one in history class, but that was like 6 years ago.

May 30, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Metaphoracle

Talesin West - Wright
Phoenix Central Library - Bruder
US Federal Court House - Meier
Natural History Museum - Predock
464 South Farmer Ave - Architekton
Loloma 5 - Bruder (skip The Vale)
ASU College of Arch - Hillier
ASU Law Library - Scogin Elam Bray
SMoCA - Bruder (spend most our your time outside with the James Carpenter and James Turrell pieces.)

And finally, if you haven't experienced one yet, make sure you walk through the IKEA. It's a whole design wonderland unto itself.

May 30, 06 12:33 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

BRUDER, REDURB!

or do we actually mean brooder?

Yeah yeah, been to good ol' Ikea. It was magical the first couple times around, but honestly I kind of loath the place now. But thanks for the well organized list!

Oh, and to correct what I had said earlier, I'm gonna be there in early to mid JUNE not July. Actually I leave in like 8 days!

And can we say Eisenmann's Cardinal Satdium?! I don't think it will be %100 done yet, but at least drive around the thing. Maybe he'll make up for the hell he puts me through everytime I go to school.

May 30, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Metaphoracle

Glendale Stadium: I believe it is to be open for this upcoming season. But not sure. With a project as programmatically complex as that one, I'm not sure if it is worth the drive to its remote location. It'd be different if you were there on game day and witnessed Leinart connect with Boldin.

I also forgot to add Wendell Burnette's studio for David Michael Miller in downtown Scottsdale -- an easy find.

May 30, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

you guys stole my thread. ....uh....nobody has mentioned the biltmore, or the eddie jones building on 44th and thomas. there are a couple of sweet gas stations and a bank one a couple blocks south of there on 44th that are enjoyable to drive past.

May 31, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh....wait. if you want some amazing food, go to the israeli food place called Sabbudy on University Drive, a few blocks west of Mill. Or go to Phoenicia, which is a couple blocks north of the architecture school by the mosque.

May 31, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeepers bossman you're right - Biltmore is really amazing. Go see it, SBD.

And there's a castle on Camelback Mountain, but it's not all that cool unless you're 10, in which case you'll be utterly fascinated every time your parents drive by it.

May 31, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

On the back side of the Biltmore there is an office building which has a number of years on it but it has always been a favorite. Has a number of small office. Eddie Jones office used to be in the building and it still might be. It is built with CMU Block with a way nice courtyard
with a steel stud trellis over the top of it.

May 31, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

Eddie Jones' studio has migrated to SMOCA (the museum designed by Will Bruder in Scottsdale) as an exhibit for this summer.

May 31, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

forget the buildings check out the talent!!!

May 31, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
grid

"And there's a castle on Camelback Mountain, but it's not all that cool unless you're 10, in which case you'll be utterly fascinated every time your parents drive by it."

-ha, that's so true. It made me laugh. It's worth a glance once... you can't miss it.

May 31, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SOT, I have to think that castle and my childhood fascination with it had something to do with me becoming an architect.

That and this.

May 31, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Vado, I WANT DIGITS MAN!

There's some sort of castle on the way to Arcosanti, north of Phoenix. What is that called?

LB, what is that a picture of?

Jun 1, 06 1:57 am  · 
 · 
grid

SB - it's a church in Sedona. I forget who designed it though...

It's a neat place. Nice spiral drive up to it as well. Sedona is pretty.

Jun 1, 06 3:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Chapel of the Holy Cross

in Sedona, as SOT said. Sedona is definitely worth a visit, thoiugh I haven't been in 25 years, I imagine it's overrun by crystal shops by now. Which reminds me there is a spa by Gluckman there - Mi Amo I think is the name of it, looked quite beautiful when it was published a few years back.

Jun 1, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
grid

Sedona = toursitville these days. It's pretty sad.

Everywhere you look it's a gypsy, palm reader, crystal shop who all get power from the "vortexes" around Sedona. On top of that, there are humvees and jeeps flying around everywhere giving off-road tours.

Looking down from the Chapel of the Holy Cross is still a nice view, except for the ginormous tuscan looking house right in front of you.

Sedona is still pretty though. There are great hikes and roads to drive on where you will be by yourself. It's definitely worth a visit, but get it while you can!

Jun 1, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Oh ya you can travel to Bumble Bee Arizona or Snowflake depending upon what you might be interested in.

Jun 4, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Ok, so it's been over a month since my trip, but to all of you that suggested places to go, thank you. As much as Phoenix is apaling, Arizona is quite beautiful. Unfortuantly, like I had stated, I was visiting my best friend (and non-architect) so my sight seeing was less than your lists (his patience for driving around the greater Phoenix metro was limited). However, we did get to see Bruder's library, Taliesin West, and Arcosanti. We also did a road trip up to Flagstaff, a cute little town, and a beautiful drive. I got to meet Wright's old personal physician, who's like 90 something! Arcosanti was fantastic, and I would love to live and work there. But since they have no true income, I fear it will never be envisioned. Here are some pics">http://www.flickr.com/photos/20927306@N00/sets/72157594198539384/]pics[/url] from the trip for those that are interested (Donna this if for you!)

Jul 26, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

thats didn't work, let's try this again:

pics

Jul 26, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Beautiful pictures, SBD!! Makes me miss the desert so much. I could feel the sun in those Arcosanti pics. Did you get a bell? I feel like it's a requirement for all architects to own an Arcosanti bell.

Also good to see the Phoenix Library which is one of my favorite buildings.

Bruder tells a story about installing those cloth fins on the building - the sailmakers who made them basically looped a rope over the top of the framework, tied the rope to the bumper of a truck, and drove across the aprking lot, pulling the "sail" into place as they went. Bruder's appreciation of construction and craftsmen is a big reason why I love his work so much.

Thanks for sharing, SBD, I love them.

Jul 26, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i got a behind the scenes tour of this building from the head librarian.

Jul 26, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Wow, that's cool how they put up the sails. I didn't get a bell, I got a really cool ceramic vase instead (and I plan on putting a cactus in it when I get back to Cincinnati). I'll post a pic of it when I do, or maybe WonderK will post a pic of it sooner...hint hint.

Vado, that's so cool, I should have thought of that.

Jul 27, 06 9:51 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

all you would have had to do is walk into an area that says "library personnel only". thats waht i did.

Jul 27, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you missed Chaco Canyon and Taos' west mesa, for shame.

you have some nice pics though.

Jul 27, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

thank you. I would love to go back and see so much more. I didn't get to see the new Card's stadium either.

My fav pics are of my friend looking into the library's mechanical room and the arcosanti pan. There's also a pan of taliesin and some mountains, but they are cropped to squares in the preview page:

larger image

Jul 27, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud
Jul 27, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Yup....you do create a yearning for the Desert....wish I was kicking back in Patagonia...bout now instood of dripping like a wet rag cloth here on the east coast.

Jul 27, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: