Archinect
anchor

Best Student Laptop

maya mcdifference

brother knows what he's talking about. nothing beats a good hand job.

Jun 29, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

erasmus

hey, I'm just trying to help ya
By the way, the GSD is in Cambridge, not Boston (no wonder you weren't accepted ;-))
You can always decline Yale and reapply next year to the GSD (I don't like it when anyone commits "career suicide", even you Mo-Towner

Walk 4 blocks west of A+A....and then joke about the bike gangs ;-)

Jun 29, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Jun 29, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i hear you...just seems hypocritical of you to come on here making fun of a program and then commenting on how you hate it when people get so fixated on one program vs. another.

to each their own. good luck with dell....you'll need it!

Jun 29, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

HA HA - i was simply teasing you about it. nobody can take a joke on archinect. let it go.

Jun 29, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

jokes are suppose to be funny. try be funnier. then i'll laugh.

good luck with that too! ;)

Jun 29, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

Does anyone else find it absolutely hilarious+facinating how both simple statements are easily convoluted and people use the anonymity of this medium(forums). I'd love to see the yale vs. GSD people, the PC people, the mac people, the dell people, the east people, the west people all around a table a drinks... just to see how the dynamic worked out face to face.

Jun 29, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

i'm sure a couple of drinks later people would still be as open about their opinions as they are on here

Jun 29, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
standardsofa

i'd like to discuss bike gangs.

Jun 29, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

too bad most people can't be this honest in person.

Jun 29, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

shaybug

true

Jun 29, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

no....i'd tell anyone in person how awful dell is......;)

Jun 30, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
erasmus

hey parallel
i've had the pleasure of touring cambridge (which you might as well call boston if you are going to call where i reside detroit (have you ever been? if you haven't, you should. it is a beautiful city if you drop the stereotypes and give people a chance. (and yes (for all you grammarians), i can put parentheses inside of parentheses because this is archinect)) (hope i closed all of these)). it was a good experience, and i really liked MIT and the GSD, but my second-rate mind (should i cite that reference in MLA or APA format) couldn't get through their admission committees. oh well, a school is a school, and i think it depends more on the individual to get what he/she wants out their time than the building/city they are in or the current dean/faculty. i have plenty of experience to back that up (many of you have probably never heard of my undergrad yet several of us made it into top schools this year), and i know there are others (maybe even you) who will agree with that. in some strange way, i respect you, parallel, even though i don't know you, but can you please drop the career suicide stuff. it is not going to change my mind because everything you have to tell me (while it may influence someone) means nothing to me. i think we could have more fun discussing real topics or ripping on each other's moms. (i just hope i can keep up with your lighting fast and razor sharp gsd wit ;p)

now, to keep this on topic, the specs for my computer:
dell latitude d820
15.4" wide screen
intel duo core t2500 2.0 ghz processor
2.0 gb of ram
80 gb 7200 rpm harddrive
512 mb video card
dvd +/-rw
3 year warranty (covers accidental damage)
some other jazz that is pretty standard
grand total with tax and shipping: $2150 (on sale, but no "special" dell discount)

i think i got a good deal... hope my dell doesn't fail me

Jun 30, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Vermonster

Wow...

Jun 30, 06 1:12 am  · 
 · 
nilla

erasmus + shaybug your undergrad school sucks. how do I know cuz I went there. I plan to buy a new mac book pro for when I go into grad school and it will dominate ur dads.

ne ways nice to see u the whole yale[erasumes] vs GSD[parallel] thing is still going on. It provides me much entertainment as I sit at my desk and wonder if architecture makes sense ne more.

have fun working for that german nazi/architect

Jun 30, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

one thing about apple is their tech support is stubborn (when it comes to replacing an entire computer for free, otherwise they can accomodate repairs easily) and you have to fight with them but if you stand your ground you can get what you want in the end... this shouldn't be an issue for architects or architecture students since we are used to fighting for our designs.

Jun 30, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

i'm with nilla the thrilla

parallel38 entertains me beyond measure...

I've found apple to be good for warranty... but my experience with that is limited b/c they're so totally dope to begin with. it broke, I took it into the sweet arse mac reseller and they fixed it and it was free....

who else on the west coast suffering through this last hr..... oh and shaybug you'll be happy to know I'm modeling a project on sketchUp this afternoon!

Jun 30, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Hong

i have a big question, can d820 with 512mb graphic card load the sketchup program?

Aug 20, 06 6:42 am  · 
 · 
trace™

any computer can 'load' sketchup. Running a program has nothing to do with the graphics card. Furthermore, mbs on graphic cards are not all equal and it is misleading (and confusing) to compare them this way.

I assume you are asking if that Quadro NVS will help make running Sketchup better or if Sketchup will run well on the d820? The answer is yes to both, that computer could easily handle any Sketchup files (and most 3D files in general).

Aug 20, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
manamana

the quadro NVS line really isn't designed for 3D stuff, but sketchup is simple enough that it won't matter a great deal unless you get into really complex models.

Aug 20, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

just got my new t60p last week. i can't wait to show it off to all the chicks in studio next month...

seriously though, i've been playing with the fingerprint scanner wayyyy too much.

Aug 21, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Hong

ok , because i will be load a lots of construction sketch on sketchup, what if the model is very complex , it still can load smooth?

Aug 22, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: