Archinect
anchor

acad misery

Urbanist

OK. I'm totally stymied. Has anyone else had a problem with getting linework on a random part of an acad drawing plotted. I'm having the problem regardless of ctb (tried both standard and custom ones), in any projection mode (3d, 2d, solid, wire, hidden line), and from any perspective (plan, elevation, axon, perspective)? Basically, a pretty much random part of the image, not along any line or vertex, fails to plot, despite being visible in the window, for any view, at higher scales, regardless of lineweight or color. Areas close to the structural elements (whether or not the elements are exposed in the particular drawing) tend to have greater difficulty plotting, but not consistently. At close-in scales, more of the same parts of the drawing plot. I am not using blocks, and have purged the file repeatedly. The actual vectorwork is fine too (dumps 3dsm just fine).

May 17, 06 9:16 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

printer memory or driver upgrade??

can you send me the file and let me try to plot it?

May 18, 06 7:32 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi
Could you have forgotten the Hideplot option in Mview ?

May 18, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Nah. It's not a hideplot issue. I've been asking around.. A number of people here are reporting similar problems on very large files (30K elements or more) in acad 2006. Autodesk has nothing to say as far as I can tell. We're pretty much stuck.

May 18, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

OK, two things I can think of to start:

1. In your layer manager are any of the layers set to not plot.

2. Have you got any wipeout boxes in your drawing?

D

May 18, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

No on both accounts I'm afraid. And the file's completely clean amd thoroughly purged with nohidden layers. I've even tried setting everything to one default color and lineweight.

May 18, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what printer are you using?

May 18, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I've tried all types. I need the file as an EPS or PDF export, but i've also tried plots on a color laserprinter, a b/w laserprinter, and all 4 plotters around here. Same problem in each case, irrespective of ctb used.

May 18, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ok so let's go through this;

the file is in excess of 30k? that is huge!
nothing is on defpoints, there are no blocks on defpoints...
it is completely random...
you've tried it on different printers...
no wipeouts...
projection mode is correct...
it's not the ctb...

perhaps there is not enough memory to crunch the files of that size? i know when i have tried to create pdf's of 1/4 the size of the files you describe, i have had the same problems. adobe pdf creation in autocad blows, get bluebeam. perhaps there is a service pack that needs to be loaded, maybe driver updates, maybe create new pc3 files. it is random correct? if it is then plotting an area from model space won't solve anything. perhaps autocad needs a reinstall - but that would be a last resort. i would try and simplify the dwg as much as possible, or try blocking the dwg and insert into a new dwg....just some thoughts...

May 19, 06 7:36 am  · 
 · 

i've opened this thread with each new post and each time i got the sweats, saw the issue was still hanging, and had to leave before i got hives.

some cad problems i just have to file in the 'mysteries of life' category and leave it at that. computers are smarter than i am.

May 19, 06 7:46 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if nothng else, i think we've all found an appropriate file to use in an autocad test.

"...and now your autocad test. sit here, and you have 30 minutes to plot this drawing. good luck."

May 19, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

if you opened it in illustrator and tried to print from there?
or just a lower version of autocad?

May 19, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

sometimes no matter how much you purge the drawing doesn't shrink too much.
there is a lsp called layerfilterdelete that works wonders
I can email it to you

May 19, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
liberaceisdead

Definitely sounds like a printer memory problem because the file is too big- try layfildel (above)

Send it to Autodesk and see if they can figure anything out- it might be a bug in AutoCAD 2006 in which case they would be very interested in solving the problem.

or copy and paste the whole thing into a new drawing
or copy and paste just the missing data into a new drawing as a test

Sometimes the stupidest techniques are the most effective.

May 19, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

that does sound odd. I would try bouncing it to illustrator or another cad program.

May 19, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Thanks so much for your help and advice, everybody. I still don't know what caused the problem, but I blocked objects associated with about a dozen layers, deleted a few other layers not directly seen in the layers views being plotted, and now most (but not all) of it plots. Maybe acad just falls apart when object counts get too large. I don't think it's just memory, because the file had the same problem on half a dozen different computers with different configurations. In any case, I can't spend any more time with it.. spent more than 20 hours trying to plot this thing so far.

Three other people here.. all urban designers working with vast files... also presented with similar symptoms for what it's worth. I hate acad. I hate autodesk. I hate acad.

May 19, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: