Archinect
anchor

new mac's released

A Center for Ants?
http://www.apple.com/macbook/

new 13 inch macbooks and a 17 in w/ intel chips...

also the 13 inch is avail in black or white. (but black comes at a $200 premium for some reason).

tempted to use one of these babiess as a school computer running windows...

May 16, 06 6:01 pm
blah

What about the integrated graphics?

Can you run Maya using integrated graphics?

May 16, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
harame83

black one has 80gb hard drive. i guess that makes $200 diff.

May 16, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
pamplemousse

Too bad I just bought a 12 inch powerbook. I knew the mini macbooks would be out soon though, so I guess I really can't complain.

May 16, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

so disappointed by the integrated graphics. the black one is sweet...but it would unusable.

any opiinios on the highly reflective screen? great images, but it reflects any light sources you might have in the room...

May 16, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I was in the apple store a couple hours ago, they were just setting up the black and white ones.

Normally glossy screens drive me batty with glare and color issues, but these were better than most. I'd still prefer the standard screen, though.

I realize this is apples new low end, but there were a couple things that bothered me though-

The keyboard looks/feels really shady (cheap)

the black coating is not bad, but not nearly as nice as a thinkpad. I could see it getting pretty nasty looking pretty quick. Also I think I may strangle the first person who tries to tell me a black rubberized coating is a groundbreaking apple innovation.

Also hilarious was the one hot female in the group of 10-12 nerdy guys who wanted to look at the new macbooks. she wanted to pick it up to see how heavy it was, and one of the apple store clerks thought he was mr. funnypants and kept repeating:

"uh, yeah, it's 20.1 pounds...heh heh...<looks at other associate for response, finds none> heh, yeah, 20.1 pounds"

<girl rolls eyes and picks up computer>

"heh, you must have gotten really strong picking up all those heavy computers...heh, heh"

<girl isn't even paying attention at this point>

May 16, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Why did they do the glossy screen? I haven't seen the new MacBook's in person, but hearing that gave me pause. I have never liked it on friends 'high-end' laptops.....

May 17, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i don't get "20.1 pounds"... is that a reference to something?

May 17, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

unless I missed something, no. I think it was just the apple store guy thinking he'd be able to joke-flirt and turn this girl's interest in a computer into interest in his penis.

it doesn't take a genius to figure out that that just doesn't work.

Also, I heard this morning that the black coating is pretty easily scratched off.

May 17, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
nilla

How well does the Mac book run with the windows/OS setup? How does it run with programs like MAX or Rhino, because of both windows and OS running? I am considering an apple but do not what to invest time and money getting mac based programs when I already have the windows based ones. If anyone has the windows/OS set up let me know if u like it or not.

May 17, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
michellemarie

so nilla, did you buy the apple?

Jul 27, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
UncleRemus

is it hard to transfer files from one partition to the other when you have windows running on one side and want to get say an autocad file over to photoshop?

Jul 28, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
michellemarie

i've been tempted to get one of these macs and run it in windows, mostly. concerned about the long term, and whether mac will continue to support windows on mac. maybe wait for the new leopard to come out?

Jul 28, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
nilla

michellemarie

i didnt get anything yet. I got a full time position so Im just gonna mooch off of my work computer for now. played around with a mac with windows on it. for some reason i found it funny looking at the screen at start up, but it seemed to work fine but it was just a floor model nothing really on it to give a work out.

Jul 28, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

i run windows on a mcp, and it works great minus the keyboard, which screws up quite often. i would assume, based on my experience with c4d(cross platform), that if you were running maya, the mapping wouldn't be problem as i doubt they have diff. code for windows/mac input mapping. in other words, c4d picks up mac-like mappings from the mac keyboard even while running windows.

the dual core processor is so sweet.
beats the crap out of my 2.4ghz p4 that i still have at home.

Jul 29, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: