Archinect
anchor

Video cards

mg1847

What is a good video card for 3d work... quadro, 3d labs...? price is not necessarily an issue.

May 11, 06 12:48 pm
mg1847

I dont want a gaming video card i want one that can render well and fast.

May 11, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Devol1

This article is from October, but I think it will give you a pretty good idea of what to look at.

good luck

Cadalyst Labs Review: Play Your Cards Right

May 11, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

you do realize that graphics cards only "render" in the sense that they display viewports?

once you hit the "render" button, it's all cpu and ram. GPU has nothing to do with it.

realizing that... with the new quadros that were just released, the 4500 is a good buy at the high end. also the new ATI firegl 7300 and 7350.

May 12, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
mg1847

thank you for the info... what is so good about SLI and dual GPU ??

May 12, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes does anyone have any idea about the effect of sli enabled graphics cards for modeling, photoshop etc? or is it just for gaming? Im planning to build me a new behemoth computer and am evaluating where sli is worth it...

May 12, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I don't know about SLI for workstations. I can imagine it would help when you get into complex models. The Quadro in my workstation definately outperforms the Radeon 9600 in my laptop, so I think the more power you give, the better the results. Will you ever make a model that needs that much power? I don't know. Or is that stuff more for Pixar and ILM? I think that's the question. Where is the value level of the technology you will ACTUALLY use vs. what it can do?

May 12, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

If you really want to build a behemoth, it's now possible to have 4 GPUs in one workstation, assuming you have 1) unlimited cash flow 2) an enormous case, and 3) a stupendously powerful power supply. What you would need that for at this point is beyond me: perhaps for medical imaging?, maybe for zooming and rotating in a detailed model of an entire city without any lag? I'm sure it would come in handy if you were modeling a complex scene for a movie, but architecture? Anyway, nVidia's got a dual-GPU version of their Quadro FX 4500 that's also SLI-compatible: Quadro FX 4500 X2. I haven't been able to find the price for this monster, but I'm not sure I'd even like to think about how much it would cost. I'm guessing it would be more than $5000 for two of them.

May 13, 06 4:53 am  · 
 · 
doberman

If you use max make sure you buy either ATI or Nvidia products as they are optimized for that software.

May 13, 06 7:05 am  · 
 · 
Devol1

This isn't really very helpful...but if you want the ultimate graphics setup, this may be it...

wow

May 13, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

In every bit of information I've ever seen, SLI doesn't do a whole lot for workstations except in situations with ridiculously high texture detail, or complicated models with hardware Anti-aliased lines enabled (you can see this from the high UGS specviewperf score for the 4500 X2)

in every other situation, the benefit is minimal, and not really worth the extra hassle, heat, noise, and cost. it was designed for gamers, workstations are an afterthought.

a better use of two GPUs would be to run two monitors independently.

it is possible that they may be able to optimise the drivers to better handle complex geometry in the future, but I wouldn't hold out alot of hope for it.

May 13, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: