Archinect
anchor

Real Estate Development Degree decision

minnie

Does anyone know anything about the MS in Real Estate Development at MIT Center for Real Estate, and MDes in Real Estate Development at Harvard GSD? I got accepted to both programs and am evaluating the pros/cons of the two. I have done extensive research but would also like to hear some opinions from someone who has worked with recent alums, or has attended these programs. My background is BArch. After working for a couple of years at an architectural firm, I became more interested in urban planning and real estate development, and applied for these degrees. I hope to work in a real estate development or a real estate consulting firm after graduation. I am also considering an MBA, although I am not sure if I will really need it if I have a masters degree in real estate. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

May 9, 06 5:55 am
trace™

Congratulations. Probably can't go wrong with either. You'll make bank, inevitably. Good career choice, imho.

I'd go for the dev degree over the MBA. I am sure they'll teach you all the boring biz stuff you need to know, where the MBA is very generalized for just business, not real estate (meaning you'll probably learn even more boring stuff).

Smart man. If more architects went this way, the world would most likely be prettier. I am jealous! Wish I had thought of that before my MArch.

May 9, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

actually, i think you'd be better off with the mba since you've already got the b.arch degree (i.e., enough of an arch background). why not get of the the architecture building and spend some time absorbing a different professional culture? besides business (generally speaking) is as much about who you know as what you know and (good) mba programs do an excellent job of fostering networks. furthermore, if you do an mba program with a specializtion in real estate then your background as an architect will quickly make you a popular person in those circles. just my two cents.

incidentally, i've heard that the mdes program at harvard referred to as a "buy a harvard degree" so i'm not sure how good that program really is. of course that's second hand info and i haven't really researched the program myself, but still...you can take it for whatever it's worth...

May 9, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
kiddroboto

What about Columbia's GSAPP Master of Science in Real Estate program?

http://www.arch.columbia.edu/gsap/52

May 12, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

discounted cash flow baby

May 12, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
cLoo

Hi minnie, what have you found to be the requirements in getting into a competitive real estate development program. What do they look for on paper in an applicant?

May 14, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
REgeek

Hello ... a bit too late but worth a shot ...

I am currently a first year Mdes - Real Estate candidate at Harvard GSD. I have worked for couple of years in RE before applying (recommended). There are pros and cons, but the pros outweigh the cons (by a lot).

Some of the main pros:

1. Flexibility of the program and cross registration with HBS, HKS, HLS, and MIT (HBS tougher than others, but doable with the right approach and networking with professors + a priority is given to you when you become in your second year)
  2. Huge networking opportunities if you know how to leverage the brand and how to sell yourself (especially if you have previous experience in RE)
  3. Top notch speakers (from AM, PE and Development side, etc..)
  4. Real Estate Conference that happens every Spring and attracts over 400 RE professionals (GSD + HBSstudents work jointly on that event)
  5. Very good / Excellent professors with professional experience (some better than others)
  6. The Mdes RE program is supported by HSREC, Harvard RE alumni board, and the RED Club at Harvard (you will be assigned a mentor from the Harvard RE alumni board in Year 1)
  7. If you know how to pick your courses, you can enhance your modelling skills drastically

Cons (in my opinion)

1. Harvard GSD: Very small building - not the best fitted out space technologically - lack of space and very few collaboration spaces (this might be partially solved by the planned expansion of the GSD)
  2. Degree name "Masters in Design Studies" [although we call it a RE masters internally and with employers that know the program] - hopefully it will change in the future (due to the new leadership at Harvard [new president] and at the GSD [new dean])

Grosso modo: this program has a huge potential to grow exponentially if things are done right in the future. Very smart students get in + Professors that graduated from the GSD and HBS teach the course + very good networking opportunities and speakers' series

Nov 23, 18 9:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: