Archinect
anchor

surface modelling

Abhishek

Hey i have a 3d model of my project using Edgesurf command in Autocad. It is a surface model. now i imported it into sketchup. but the problem is the whole model is faceted. it is not monolythic and it has no thickness.
So how can i give thickness to a surface in cad or any software and how to make one entity of the whole skin?
please help me

May 6, 06 6:47 am
6nuew

if the surface is faceted, you might have to explode it and extrude each facet if you want a solid volume. Messy. If its curved, forget about it. also, everything in sketchup is a surface, there is no concept of 'solid'. The best thing to do with 3d models in cad is to use them cosmetically, just for renders. Dont try to develop complete sections etc from them, it turns out messy.. draw your own genuine sections. If u wanna save time tho, use sketchup for everything and then photoshop the SU sections to make em look solid.

May 6, 06 8:18 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

hey manu, why'd you drop your blog?

May 6, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

sorry for not sticking to this thread...

May 6, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
cmdace18

i would def use photoshop to mend the two images together -- the Surface in AutoCAD and the image in Sketchup. As Manu said, if its curves, forget about it. You'll spend more time bring in the CAD file into sketchup and extruding the pieces. Save that time to bring the images together.

May 6, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

TickerTocker, I dropped it because of 'political reasons' - things that went down at school. Can't say much more, sorry. Thanks for expressing your concern, though.

Abhishek, where are you studying/working?

May 6, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi

I would suggest that you try import it into 3DMAX and save it as 3ds format, then re-import it into AutoCAD. You could try see if you can find a triangulation tool in Max to smoothen it further before you save the 3ds file and import that into AutoCAD.
Othervise it alway's been a problem that AutoCAD didn't even offer a feature to point out several defination lines to create a polymesh surface only 2 or with edgesurf 4 defination lines are what is offered ---- unless you do as I had to do, write an application that will allow you to use the number of section lines at your choice, to create a complex entity. Anyway if you import to 3Ds or Max , these polymesh entities are treated as Solids , you can even add, subtract and cut out holes in a plain polymesh created in Acad imported into 3Ds.

May 6, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Manu ?? .. political reasons? ... I thought you were just taking a break ..

so does this mean .. no more blogging from b'lore?

May 7, 06 1:16 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

sorry abhishek .. went off track there

May 7, 06 1:17 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

wow, a school in bangalore won't allow a blog? i'm actually pretty impressed that they're threatened enough to can it. at the school i went to, the profs wouldn't know what a blog was if it bit them in the ass...

hey sporadic, what happened to your DRL thing?

man, i'm totally hijacking this thread...

May 7, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

TT , ..

I got an acknowledgement mail from then. They said they'd let me know in 2-3 weeks ... I got one from Bartlett too ...

now it's been a while and i'm getting a lil' worried. :-/

May 7, 06 6:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: