Archinect
anchor

SLR lenses

Hasselhoff

So I just bought a D50, body only. For now I can use my cheap lens that came with my N75. But I'd like to get a decent lens that I can use on both (i.e. non-DX). What do you guys find the most useful in everyday shooting? My current lens is 28-80mm, has glass lenses, but plastic housing and feels a little cheap (well it is only $80 new). Also, what brands. Of course Nikkor is great, but does anyone have experience with Sigma or Tamron?

May 1, 06 2:26 pm
remonio

I usually use either a 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor for interiors or architecture or 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor for other stuff. If I'm shooting at night, handheld I like using a fast 50mm f/1.4D AF or 85mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor. I can switch between film and digital with these lenses.
You could just get the newer DX lenses for your D50 like the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor which would pretty much cover all your shooting needs. It's not a fixed f/2.8 zoom but those are usually run over a grand.

May 1, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I have 28-80mm and 70-300mm sigma lenses. I love them both. The housing is plastic but sturdy. and both come with macro features which have proven invaluable. I've used these on my canon slr for the past 3 years and now switch them to my dslr instead of the crappy lens that came with the canon digital body.

May 1, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i just bought my d50 as well. i got a 18-55mm, which they say, is decent. reason why i didn't get a 28-80 is because 28 is not wide enough for me. i am also planning on getting a 80-300mm telephoto lens by nikon. it's cheap for its range. i need both telephoto and wide lenses.

May 1, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

used 18-70 DX 3.5-4.5 goes on e-bay for $200... shelve your film camera. used 80-200 2.8 goes for $450, another good lens although a lill bit bulky.

May 1, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

how did you end up getting such a great deal sashimi? I read your previous slr entry; you end up getting a great deal for the body and 18-55mm lens.

May 1, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

In the 6 years i've owned the nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens, I've used it maybe a dozen times in my architecture/landscape hunting photo safaris around the world. If I shot portraits, then it is a great piece of glass that would get lots of use.

While I'm not in love with my 24-85mm f/2.8-4 (because of too much barrel distortion below 35 mm) its the only lens that I ever seem to use... if I could drop the big bucks for the 17-35mm f/2.8D ($2k), I would never pack the my lenses.

Nikon ROCKS!

May 1, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I use a 1970's Minolta. Tank-built, manual focus (the XE-1, which is the same as the Leica R3).

Depends what you like to shoot. I use prime lenses: a 50mm 1:1.4 for everyday stuff, and a x2 converter makes it a 100mm 1:2.8. I also use a 24mm 1:2.5. The fact that they are quite fast lenses allows for some lovely bokeh when the lens is wide open.

I have been trying to eBay something longer, like a 250, 300, or 500, but these would be for capturing architectural detail from a distance.

Prime lenses will always give a better image, and generally be faster than the equivalent length within a zoom, with less fall-off and less flare. The faster/wider apertures allow shooting in the lower light of dawn/dusk/indoors and are the result of quality optics.

Get some filters for indoor/B&W work.

I would never go for a non-minolta (Rokkor) lens. Mainly because I would always wonder how much better the genuine article is, and therefore how much I had wasted buying something inferior.

Meanwhile, use what you have, find its limits and which direction it is that you want to go with your next lens.

May 1, 06 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

superglue- i bought if off from amazon.com. they are reliable...they sell d50 and 18-55mm for around 620 dollars if i remember right...go check amazon out! also, there was a deal at the time i bought it where they gave me a free memory card.

i have a problem guys...my d50 arrived today and while i was taking some pictures, smoke began to come out of the camera for a little while. i can smell it for a bit but then it's gone. i don't think it's the battery because it isn't hot or anything...and i haven't been using it for a long time. i might return it back to repair (1 year warranty)

May 1, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

smoke good for NAS (nikon acquisition syndrome)... D200 wont smoke. Time for u to upgrade.

May 1, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

Sashimi: I don't know if you're aware but there's a Nikon EN-EL3 battery recall. Check the nikon site for more info.

Hasselhoff: Check out the lens reviews at http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm
Although the 17-35mm f/2.8D is a very good lens, Thom Hogan writes "Since most of the deficiencies are corner related, a 1.5x angle of view crop does wonders for the performance ratings." - regarding the 18-35mm lens which is much cheaper.

May 2, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: