Archinect
anchor

Now that Sketch Up is free...

Cameron

What other features would you like to see? Intergration with Google Earth is up and running as is Googles' 3D Cad Library... what other improvements can they make?

If you were doing a simple single family home what would you need to move from AutoCad/Microstation or Vectorworks to SketchUp.

Cheers
C.

Apr 27, 06 7:26 pm
ichweiB

Is it possible for shadows to export as an EPS/vector extension so one doesn't have to trace them to use in an EPS file?

Apr 27, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

the big drawback from the "free" sketchup, is that it seems you can't export any useable file format.

are any of the cad translators able to handle sketchup files? will rendering plugins be able to work with the free version?

Apr 27, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ivan Kriakov

in normal sketchup how do you export so you have layer control in illustrator?

Apr 27, 06 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

can you export google earth buildings? topo?

Apr 28, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

yes and over time it will become more intergrated and robust.
cheers

Apr 28, 06 12:47 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Sketchup has a long way to go before it's capable of producing a set of construction docs. A loooong way to go. And i don;t think that is its aim either, after all it is called SKETCHup. But I would be more inclined to use it if they get a heavy hitter rendering plug-in like V-ray ported over. Supposedly they people at vray are going to start on that right after they finish the Rhino version. (Which is coming along nicely.)

Apr 28, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

it's crayons fog, that's their niche.

Apr 28, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

"If you were doing a simple single family home what would you need to move from AutoCad/Microstation or Vectorworks to SketchUp."

i'd need a contractor who didn't require CD's or i need for google/atlast to develop a backend drawing program -which is unnecessary, because when i finish a sketchup model -i'm ready to trash it and start a new, precise 2D drawing.

although i've always been suspect of the atlast guys' homespun spin on their software approach, i think they nailed what was missing in the design software market brilliantly. and it's more in tune (than bim) with the traditional architectural practice model of project development SD/DD/CD. it even has a place along side or in front of bim.

Apr 28, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 

wait its now free, where have I been? Damn this desolate wasteland, damn!!

Apr 29, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Andrea316

where does one get it for free?

Apr 29, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
alex_ian

my screen resolution is pretty good, and the file format exports never worked for me anyways... the only export i used successfully was vectors, and even then i had to repair some lines... so i assume, the free version works for me, as soon as they put the mac version out, which is announced...
try sketchup.com

Apr 29, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

is there a way to save high res google earth picture file? so there is no need to glue tiny pieces together in photoshop?

Apr 30, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzytank

asking for sketchup to be more like other drafting programs is missing the point. Its like asking for ms paint to be the layout program of the future. I agree with waxwings... crayons.

But, what do we need as architects and what can we hope for is another question.

What I think we need is the ability to have online interactions within our schematic models. These meetings need live voice chat and realtime walkthrough ability. Its not a new idea, its a video game, but damn its been years in the making, and the architecture community and the gaming industry cant get together. (microstation walkinside... le booo)

I think google tho.... they could pull it off. The fact that sketchup is so dumbed down and resource friendly i hope ittl only be a month or two till they get it working ;).

So, stop asking for additional layer support or anything else you could already do if you used a better program and ask for something that would be innovative and really FREAKIN COOL.

May 3, 06 5:26 am  · 
 · 
THuh

I want my money back!!!

May 3, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: