Archinect
anchor

D50

Hasselhoff

Is anyone familiar with the Nikon D50? I've seen some pretty good prices on the body. Since I have an N75, I thought it would be good to get a Nikon DSLR before Japan so I can use the same lens that I have and save money. Plus I could get more lenses later and share. Although the D50 will be obsolete before the N75. Wait, the D50 is already obsolete at 6.1 MP. I'm more concerned about the depth of field and big lens, etc. DSLRs are so much better for model photos etc. I rarely print my digital photos anyway. Stupid I know.

Apr 22, 06 3:07 pm
ichweiB

I bought a Nikon D50 about a month and a half ago. I have loved having it. I bought it before my studio went to New York. I have been impressed with it. As far as "obsoleteness" is concerned, I suppose that is kinda up to you as is with any technology. Of course, better technology is always coming out, but based on what you personally need technology to do for you, is up to you and how obsolete it actually is. Sure, I could have bought an 8 MP or a 10, but with the work I am doing, and will do in the future, I will never notice a difference. So, that is why I was completly satisfied buying the D50. 6.1 MP has been great for what I do in my work.

Apr 22, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

I just ordered a d50 camera with a 18-55mm lens on Amazon.com. They have a nice sale with a free memory card along with it (20 dollar value) (sale ends 24th). I recommend Amazon because they are reliable.

Anyways, d50 are great because for me, I'm an amateur and the features on there are more than enough for me. It's newer than the d70 but cheaper. Although it lacks some features the d70 has, the d50 is more than enough for most photographers. I've heard very good reviews on the camera. I have no regrets buying it.

I don't think just because the d50 is 6.1MP does it mean it's obsolete. It's only one year old (which for dslr, is not bad) and like what mjh said, the picture quality is so great that you will never notice a difference.

Apr 22, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Well, basically MP comes into play with editing and enlarging. From what I understand, you can't tell the difference on screen after 2 MP. When printing there can be artifacting and such, even at smaller prints. But I think you're right, my 4 MP point and shoot has been fine (other than that it's now broken). I just want the controls of an SLR.

Apr 22, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

that's another thing..i think slr's are far more reliable than point and shoots. the battery life tends to last a lot longer (i hear d50's battery life is hard to deplete in one day's use) and slr's are just better made.

Apr 22, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

my studio plotted some pretty big photos for our final review of our site using my D50 and the quality looked great.

Apr 23, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Kentique

Here's the thing. 6.5mp? not obsolete at all.
5mp is more than enough for your 8.5 x 11 prints. DSLR sensors are much bigger than the point and shoots, so the D50 and the point and shoot 6.5mp is totally different. In order to have double the resolution of 6.5mp, you would need about 32mp.
currently,the 12mp DSLR has disadvantages. Unless you do crazy cropping, you probably wouldnt need it- but anyways, the file size gets crazy big, and also slows the camera down.

As for D50, I personally go for the better-built D70s, but thats up to your budget and needs. You cant go wrong with any DSLR, anyways...

Apr 23, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Awesome guys. Thanks for the heads up. Good info.

Apr 23, 06 12:55 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

nice hasselhoff ... go click me lotssa pics ..

you will be updating your blog right ?

Apr 23, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Heck yes I will. I'll have my laptop this time. Prepare for copius pictures of me with beautiful Japanese women, or large groups of school children. Blonde hair and blue eyes make me a superstar in Japan. I had heard the rumors, but it's totally true. Everyone wants to talk to the American. But, maybe it won't be so prevalent in Osaka. There are probably plenty of crackers like myself there.

Apr 23, 06 1:08 am  · 
 · 
trace™

MP are officially dead.

Apr 23, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Have MP gone the way of MHz/GHz?

Apr 23, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

lots of crackers in Osaka.

Apr 23, 06 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I'll have to get out to Fukuchiyama more than once to be the token cracker.

Apr 23, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: