Archinect
anchor

Energy / Simulation Software

David Morris

What does everyone use to do energy simulations, etc... such as DOE-2 calculation, energyPlus, and all that jazz?

I found this list of software and services available online, but I'm not sure what to pursue.

Is anyone familiar with gbXML at all? Is it worth getting into at this point in the development? What exactly can I do with it?

Thanks for your help,
dave

Apr 20, 06 8:02 am
Josh Emig

I got an evaluation of IES, which looks pretty good, but I haven't tested it. IES will import gbXML models, and I know Revit exports gbXML, but I don't know much more than that.

The energy consultants we work with use an array of tools including IES, Ecotect (which seems to be currently unavailable pending a new release), eQuest, and others. I also use Window, Therm, and Optics from Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. for thermal analysis of curtain wall/window wall/fenestration assemblies.

The biggest hassle with these tools is that they don't communicate well with other 3d modeling tools (sometimes requiring that you rebuild the model) or they don't do 3d at all. gbXML is a step toward a remedy. But I sincerely hope that someone, somewhere, is working on better, more friendly, more CAD integrated versions of these tools. In which case, gbXML will either become standard or will be superceded by something better.

Apr 20, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
auvn

to The Public: it is great link. I am looking for window version of Radiance for longtime but unsuccessful. Now i can find it from your link.
thanks

Apr 20, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
todd

are all of these apps. freeware? or do they expire?

Apr 20, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

freeware, i have found equest to be the easiest to use

Apr 20, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: