Archinect
anchor

Laptop Computing Requirements

David Morris

I am on the IT committee for the College of Architecture at Texas A&M, and after a lot of fighting over how to create a computer specification recommendation for incoming freshman and transfer students, they decided to put it all on me. I have to come up with a good way to structure the spec sheet to be handed out at the new student orientations this summer.

The College at A&M requires all students as of last year to have laptops, and the spec's the committee published last year (before I was on it) were out of date before they even wrote them. Students got upset, and the administration wants me to come up with a better solution.

What do you guys think? Either post your current laptop specs, your ideal dream laptop specs, suggestions as to whether the college should even be responsible for recommending a certain kind of computer, whether we should suggest a brand, etc...

Here's a good place to start:

Architecture College Computing Requirements

Thanks for your help,
dave

Apr 19, 06 4:19 am
trace™

Processor - Intel Pentium Duo Core
System Memory - 1GB SDRAM or more
Hard Drive - 80GB or more
Video Card - 128MB ATI X600 or more
DVD+/-RW Drive
Network Card - Integrated 10/100 Network Card 802.11 b/g WLAN network
15" screen or more
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home, Media Center, or Pro

That should be good enough place to start. You can't specificy things as they change and are different from manufacturer to manu.

Just remind everyone that you get what you pay for and show them where any applicable coupons are.

Apr 19, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
not_here

OS - PRO!!!!! WTH, Home would be a stupid decision, and in some cases, media center too.

Apr 19, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
manamana

you have two options:

complie a fairly complicated guidesheet that:

not just lists what is recomended but WHY, and also includes alternatives. (you can get away with a slower laptop if you have a good desktop - in fact that's probably the best option out of everything)

Listing the WHY as well as alternatives will cut down on complaints, and will actually help people work better (when people know what does what and why)

I would also look to avoid the problem of "what's coming." research the technology that will be out when students will start, and factor that into the recomendations.

at the end, list several sample setups in differnt priceranges. this way if people don't want to read the why, they can just buy something that matches the sample.

and like trace said, a section on deal hunting would be helpful as well.

or, option B:

call IBM, dell, apple, whoever. get one of them to give you a special discount (IBM will be most likely to comply) and just tell students that they are required to buy one of three choices. the top of the line powerhouse mobile workstation, the lower end workstation, or the mid-high end business laptop. have each of the three available for a demo at orientation.

having all the laptops be from a single manufacturer will streamline integration and tech support. most students will also end up with better computers for less money.

Apr 19, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I like the idea of telling people why. It's staggering how many people actively AVOID knowing about technology because it's 'nerdy.' I still run into that even at school. People want the flashy graphics and power, but computers still have a stigma of being nerdy. I would definately talk about the why for each part. There is this one girl who if you talk to her about computers she gives you this real "Why would I even know that?!" cocky response. Then she got a new desktop and acts like she knows all this stuff, but she still has no clue what she's talking about. She is one of those people who claimed to be "render farming" when all she had done was set up a batch render on her own machine while she went home. I have issues with her on other levels, but yeah, nnnnnnrrrrrrgggh (my nerd noise).

Apr 19, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i think you gotta be careful specing...
first of all, its of course good to make sure that students are as prepared as they can be for their freshmen year, but also remember that not all students can afford to drop thousands on a primo laptop right into college... i would be sure to err on the conservative side, and spec the lowest manageble... that would probably be somewhere around 1.8mghz processors, 30g hard drives and 512 of ram... ive functioned on that for 2 years... also i would avoid specing a particular kind of laptop, though due to conflicts with important programs and particular processors and OS you may have to a little bit...

if you could somehow get a deal with a lap top manufacturer to get everyone a price break on laptops, i would go that rout, as it will help to even out the curve of what people can afford

Apr 19, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Definitely get a deal with a computer manufacturer. Then you can direct them to your school's option/s through your website, and have pre-selected base models they can choose from and upgrade as they see fit. That saves a lot of hassle.

Apr 19, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

i agree that you should try to set up some "package" options, and publish some minimums. are students given the option of having an old laptop and a more powerful desktop for resource intensive applications?

also, it's not ibm anymore, it's lenovo

Apr 19, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I never understood the manditor laptop thing.

Apr 19, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

The School I'll be starting in July wants us to by the new Intel Mac laptops, but they know many of the design programs haven't been patched to work with them yet. So they are loaning us all G4 laptops for the summer session.

I think that's pretty damn classy.

Apr 19, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I'm really happy with my Desktop/Laptop combo. I would take my desktop over my laptop anyday though.

Apr 19, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
David Morris
list of computing requirements per school

please send me the link to your architecture school's computing requirements. I have a list going already ,but it's rather small right now.

Thanks for your comments so far. I really appreciate it.

Apr 19, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
pamplemousse

mespellrong: Which school are you starting in July?

Apr 19, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

The School of the Arti institute of Chicago

Apr 19, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
tinsec9

BUY IN BULK FROM THE MANUFACTURER = DISCOUNT

INCLUDE IN FEES, OR WHATEVER = LESS COMPLICATED

EVERYONE IS THE SAME = MORE PERSONALIZED STICKERS

HAVING THE SAME RECHARGER FOR DYING BATTERY EVERYWHERE = PRICELESS

Apr 19, 06 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: