Archinect
anchor

parallel rendering

not_here

So in the next few months I'm gonna be getting a macbook pro and decomissioning my acer AMD 2000+ computer with the hopes of hooking it up next to my 2.4 ghz desktop and run some renders in parallel.

any suggestions as to which software can do this best?

I'm talking complex, still image renders, not animations. and i know c4d wont split single slides among diff processors, so... what do you guys think?

Apr 17, 06 9:44 pm
pencebor

rhino3D, c4D is pretty good

Apr 18, 06 4:10 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Max can do it. I use Final Render, which has a 'distributed render' feature that gives each processor one bucket (so if you have two dual processor machines, you get 4 buckets).

The newer versions of Max can do it through the rendering options.

I know they have a version of Final Render for Cinema, so if you were to buy both you could do it that way, too.

Apr 18, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
not_here

pencebor, you don't know what you are talking about.

trace, can final render/max do this over multiple computers on a network?

Apr 18, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
joed

that's what he just said yo

Apr 18, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
not_here

he did not specify network features, joed. he specifically said processors in a dual processor machine. :-\

Apr 18, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
French

"so if you have two dual processor machines, you get 4 buckets"
that's network rendering. This feature is also available with the vray plugin, but I think it's limited to eight nodes per license.

Apr 18, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
not_here

thanks french.

Apr 18, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I think Final Renders is limited to 20 processors, but they were working on it being unlimited.

This is all great for hi res images, incredible, really, but what I noticed (and I assume it's the same for all renderers) is that for testing it took a long time to send the file to the networked machines. No big deal for the hi res image or animations (depending on how you render your GI solution), but for testing took a while.

fR has a 'distributed maps' option that could probably help, just never tried it.

Basically, the options are limitless...and damn confusing (again, for all renderers)

Apr 18, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: