Archinect
anchor

Summer Internship Portfolio Critique for SOM/Gensler

rjm1990

Hello,

I'm a 4th year, undergraduate B.Arch student and am applying to internships for this summer. I'm particularly interested in SOM and Gensler's summer programs here in Chicago, both of which obviously require portfolios. Gensler has a 6 page limit, whereas SOM has a 20 page limit.

I have posted my attempts so far at a 6-8 page "Work Sample." Right now all pages are in progress. I was hoping for some feedback as to whether the pages are too dense and should only contain one image per page, and whether the content is appropriate or should be changed. Also, should the diagrams/written descriptions be left off or stay?

If anyone with any experience with this sort of thing could offer some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. If there's anyone who did the Chicago SOM or Gensler internships I'd be especially interested in your thoughts as well. The link is: 

http://magoonportfolio.carbonmade.com/projects/4179046

Thanks so much!

-RJ

Feb 6, 12 4:47 pm
zonker

Keep the diagrams - I used to work at SOM-SF - they are interested in your process - when I was there, we developed 3D diagrams to solve programmatic issues - 

Feb 6, 12 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Looks very impressive to me. The diagrams are not obtrusive in any way - they seem fine as they are now. You have a lot your page area devoted to renderings compared to plans/sections/technical drawings and physical models, so I wonder if you should expand your variety in that respect. A lot of your images are at the same scale, a view of an overall building, so close-up details might be interesting and show an ability that firms seem to value. Think about what type of work you want to do while at your internship, too.

Feb 6, 12 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
thouonesand

Dear RJ Magoon,  you have a very "Sexy" portfolio !! may i know what school are you going too ?

BTW, good luck with your application, You surely deserved the internship.

Feb 7, 12 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
rjm1990

Haha thank you (and thanks to snail and zenakis for the feedback, as well).

I'm in my 4th year at IIT right now...

Feb 7, 12 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
med.

SOM is interested in your process....

Gensler is interested in your progress....

Both are two completely different firms that offer two completely different experiences....

Feb 8, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
gentle puppies

I've worked at Gensler in second year undergrad (2007).  My portfolio wasn't half as sexy, and I made the mistake of only showing final renders and models.

Had a great time there, and they paid $17 an hour.  Then the recession hit, and the next batch of co-op students had their offers cancelled shortly after booking their flights... 0_0

Feb 9, 12 2:58 am  · 
 · 
Archboy

great stuff...wish my work was amazing as yours 

Feb 9, 12 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apoorva91

apart from photoshop and sketchup what other software did you use? to make the model actually? great work btw!

Apr 26, 13 12:27 am  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

nice works !  G' Luck

Apr 26, 13 6:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: