Archinect
anchor

USA or UK?

wildthing

Right now I have to decide between studying architecture at a top LAC(Smith College) in the US or studying at UCL or Edinburgh in the UK. Even though I am sure I want to be an architect I am interested in many things, especially in good summer and exchange programs.
Which way gives me better chances to get into one of the well known graduate schools? Smith College, UCL or Edinburgh? Does someone have experience with the programs at these schools? Which ones are more practical which more theoretical? Which one really prepares you for becoming an architect?
Thank you, Johanna

Apr 2, 06 6:02 pm
Shambloks

Alright wildthing, I'd check some of the discussions in the last few days that have already dealt with this subject in general...

Apr 2, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
sinister_cubism

go for smith, but not every smithie is going to tell you the same thing. check your email.

Apr 2, 06 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
dasein

Hi wildthing.

I actually graduated from Smith and am at GSD now. In general, I really adored the school and I think there is no way of comparing it to UCL and Edinburgh -- which are both huge public schools.

The Smith community is so nurturing, the campus is gorgeous and the academics are top quality (a million times better than Harvard believe me).

In terms of architecture, Smith has a strong program. I only hesitate a little because the program is in transition. The instructor who taught during my time there is on leave and it is unclear if she will return (she was really fabulous). The studio space is really nice, there are a fair amount of digital resources, and the new landscape studies program will be integrated into the architecture course work i am sure (which is good).

As for preparation for grad school -- its waaaayyy too early to think about that stuff! undergrad years are wonderful. lots of personal exploration and no stress about jobs, bills, etc. you should take time off before grad school anyhow, because its pretty hellacious.

Did Smith prepare me? Sure, but it depends on the individual. I have friends who majored in other things at Smith like Economics, Art, Italian and they ended up getting into architecture schools too. I know Smithies in architecture or planning programs at schools like Columbia, MIT, LSE, Virginia and UPenn -- so we do fine.

If you have anymore questions about Smith please feel free to email me: [email protected]

good luck!

Apr 2, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
dasein

hello ms. lertpachin! my favorite smithie :-)

Apr 2, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
wildthing

hi dasein,
thank you so much. I really like smith, and I love to have a real campus and to go to a small college...i was just a little worried because I had such a hard time to find something about the architecture program at smith...
I just put my reply card in the mail....and now i am really excited to start at Smith this fall...
thx Johanna

Apr 3, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
sinister_cubism

hehe.

now you should ask us what sized curtains you need to bring! :-) don't forget to enjoy yourself and explore different classes! both dasein and I started off at Smith with different majors. That's the beauty of a liberal arts education. Feel free to hit us up with emails about Smith.

Apr 3, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
ieyaseu

Went to Edinburgh for undergrad and am now at the Bartlett(UCL) for diploma.

Looks like youve opted for smith but hey if you want to know anything about either the bartlett or edinburgh then just shout, ill be happy to post. They're both great schools

Apr 4, 06 12:41 am  · 
 · 
wildthing

hi ieyaseu,
Johanna is my twin sister and she has made up her mind....I haven't...I never thought about going to Smith because I want to go to a big university...I got into UCL and Edinburgh for architecture too...so it would be great if you could post something about these schools....maybe you can make the deciding easier for me....
thx Julia

Apr 4, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: