Archinect
anchor

How long does probation usually last in large corporate firms?(KPF, Gensler, SOM, NBBJ)

hggh

An a new employee, how long does probation usually last in large corporate firms?

There is nothing about probation on my offer letter. Does that mean they don't have a probation on me since I was an intern there? Or is there any default and unwritten custom in large corporate firms(KPF, Gensler, SOM, NBBJ)?

Thx!

Jan 22, 12 2:57 pm
ovalle

3 months. Usually health insurance kicks in after the third month you have been working. Saves HR from doing a lot of paper work. 

Jan 22, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

Firms vary. I've seen some that lasted a few days, weeks, months, and some even up to a year. Sometimes companies know that people will quit in the short run so the probation perid tends to stretch out to be longer.

Jan 23, 12 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I'm currently at one of the firms you mentioned - three months is normal.

Just for the record, small and mid-size firms do the same thing typically.

Jan 24, 12 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Usually, 3 months...then they figure out that your late to work, lazy and either a druggy or have other issues!

Sometimes, it happens in a matter of days!

May 28, 12 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

"There is nothing about probation on my offer letter."

In that case, check the employee handbook -- or ask someone before accepting the offer?

However, I would find it highly unusual (boarderline unethical) for a firm to use a probationary period and not mention that little tidbit in the offer of employment.

By the way, congratulations on receiving an offer. No small feat in this economy.

May 29, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

SOM -  3 months

May 29, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Probation?  I think until you get a Friday afternoon pink slip!

Jun 14, 12 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: